Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSODs on new Build

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dio_free

dio_free

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

Hi guys,

I have just put together my third build and I'm running into problems

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card 
Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  
CPU Cooler: Kraken x60

A week or so ago I installed windows on the SSD, set everything up. I had some issues with windows detecting the HDD but once I installed all the motherboard drivers, new bios, etc., everything seemed good. Unfortunately I started hitting random BSODs quite frequently, each time a different type. I got frustrated so I re installed windows and did a more patient and methodical install of the drivers and software. Tonight I got around to installing the remaining motherboard drivers, as well as a few of my apps (things like Chrome, Dropbox, Evernote) as well as GPU drivers, Audio drivers, etc.

I just hit my first BSOD on this fresh install, a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (dxgmms1.sys).

Any suggestions? Is this an isolated error or am I on the path to tons of random BSODs in the next day? :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dio_free

dio_free
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:46 PM

Hi guys, I REALLY need your help.

As I predicted, the wide variety of BSODs have begun in earnest. Mostly just browsing the web, I have not even installed any of my main productivity apps or any games.

So far in the last several hours I have run into several different BSODs including:

System_Service_Exception
Memory_Management
PFN_List_Corrupt
Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_Trap

Is it possible the z97 board is simply too new and doesn't have the proper driver support yet? I can't understand how else I would be getting different BSODs each time.

I would be happy to send in new logs or files to anyone who would be able to help.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 11 June 2014 - 04:34 PM.
Moved to System building and upgrading

#3 David D

David D

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

Since you are getting different error codes, that might be bad memory. Try removing one of the memory sticks and see if it runs ok. If not, switch to another memory slot and try again. Then switch to the other stick of RAM and try different slots as well.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

Such random and unrelated faults leads me to think the BIOS is not quite right.  Start with only one memory card, running them one at a time to find any problems there.  One other thing that acts this way was an improper (not that there's a proper) boot sequence.  Load the OS, all updates, patches, BIOS up dates , all OS and system drivers, be sure it all runs well    before any other software gets installed.  Some install programs will overwrite some drivers and make registry changes so that needs to be checked before and after each program gets installed.  Too many programs refuse to play nice together and the drivers for each shouldn't be loaded until needed. 

#5 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

I agree with the others (hi mjd!), my first thought was also the memory.  When I put together my current build, for some reason I couldn't install the OS  with all four sticks on the board, the PC wouldn't boot.  After I got everything up and running on 8GB RAM and installed the chipset driver I was able to add in the other 8GB.  No problems since.

Edited by compnovo, 12 June 2014 - 12:45 PM.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users