Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Browser that's win98 Friendly?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

Is there a browser that is windows 98 friendly? I really don't want to use ie6, or any internet explorer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

From the web...Permalink

For more information see KernelEx Wiki.

The best modern browsers for Windows 98/ME, tested on Inspiron 8000, (256K MB RAM), with the above software is as follows, (in my opinion Best-Worst):

SeaMonkey 2.0.14 - Very stable, best YouTube videos at 360P resolution, no script errors.
Firefox 3.6 - Very stable, great YouTube videos, especially at 144P resolution, no script errors.
Opera 11.63 & Opera 12.02 - Very stable, great YouTube videos, no script errors. A little bit slow, but solid.
Firefox 4-9 - Great YouTube videos, no script errors. Sometimes gives a crash error when closing, but still very good experience to run. Firefox 3.6 & 4.0 will give you this message on YouTube that the browser is too old and not supported, but presently it will run Flash Player 10.3.182.14 fine.
K-Meleon - Some script errors, but will run YouTube videos fine. Great alternative.
Netscape 9 - About the same experience as K-Meleon.

Internet Explorer 6 & Opera 9.6 - Forget them!

Firefox 2.0 - Cannot use YouTube, Flash Player 10.3.181.14, but made for Windows 98, and SOLID for searches.

Fun, not for YouTube Videos - Use OffByOne Browser, a functional 1 MB Browser that should work speedy with a 486 machine for just looking up something say on WIKI.
Square 1 Browser - Easy to use, but the search engine doesn't work, still works easy great on simple searches.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

SeaMonkey and Firefox give me a page fault when i run the installer but netscape works, any way to get firefox to work?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

Which versions of those two browsers are you attempting to install?

The ones recommended by someone else in my first post are SeaMonkey 2.0.14 and Firefox 3.6.

Are those the ones you tried to install?

If so, that's as far as I can go with trying to assist. Maybe someone else will help or you might try Opera 12.02.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

The last Opera version I recall working on Win 98, without it being so slow as to be unusable, was version 10 or earlier.

You can get older versions of Opera here: http://www.oldapps.com/opera.php?system=Windows_98

I never tried versions 10.01 or 10.10.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

The only Browser i got to work with windows 98 (not SE) was firefox 2.0, anything higher gives page faults.

#7 lti

lti

• Members
  • 580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

Newer versions of Firefox and the other major browsers aren't designed for Windows 98, so they will require KernelEx to run.

I would be interested in this if there was any way to secure Windows 98. IE6 is really unstable and nearly useless, even if the security vulnerabilities are ignored.

#8 sdfox 7

sdfox 7

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

I have Gateway Solos running Windows 95 and Windows 98 with Orinoco Gold wireless cards.

For basic web browsing Internet Explorer 5.x and 6.x (with 128-bit encryption for IE 5.0 and 5.5) are actually quite usable on both Windows 95 and Windows 98 if you go into Internet Options > Security > Custom Level > and change "active scripting" from enable to disable. If you don't do that you will receive crashes on pretty much any website.

Due to Internet Explorer's more likely vulnerabilities, Firefox 2 and Opera 9.27 remain my top choices for Windows 95, you have additional options with Windows 98 as described above. Internet Explorer 5.x hasn't been updated for Windows 95 in nearly 15 years, so there are likely security issues. I don't recommend using IE 5 or IE 6 for any sites that require SSL.

Opera 9.5 will also work well but requires the Windows Sockets 2.0: Opera 9.5 on Windows 95 requires Windows Sockets (Winsock) 2.0 available here or here.

Regarding Firefox or Opera, I actually experience no issues using the Flash 9r47 plugin on NT 4.0. For some reason YouTube blocks the newer 10.x releases but not the older <9 releases. You should be able to use Firefox 2 and Flash 9 without problem on Windows 98.

Edited by sdfox 7, 05 July 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#9 DarkflameQ

DarkflameQ

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:29 PM

I tried all browsers, K-Meleon is the only modern browser that still supports Windows 98 without any tweaks or patching.

Best i could get working in terms of the latest version of the common browsers was Firefox 10.0.12 ESR (2013), and Opera 11.64 (2012) and these require the installation of KernelEx to get working.

Opera is faster and less ram extension in general but Firefox has better compatibility with sites.

Firefox 11 and 12 work but crash quickly, anything above that doesn't even load, same goes for Opera 12+, Chrome doesn't work at all on any version.

I was surprised how compatible Firefox 10 was with all modern sites, download speeds were excellent too, just goes to show that a full internet experience can still be enjoyed on an 16 year old OS.

Edited by DarkflameQ, 06 September 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#10 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

Agree.

#11 Laptop002

Laptop002

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:59 PM

Just some info on this. I am running Windows 98 SE on an IBM Netvista (p4, 128 mb ram). This is my experience with web browsers in this system:

1. windows explorer 6 (came pre-installed in the Windows 98 system) was a bit unstable but usable.

2. firefox 3.6.13, SeaMonkey 2.40, and windows explorer 7 could  not be installed (when trying to run the installer, the system gave a message saying that an illegal operation was attempted).

3. SeaMonkey 1.1.19 installed well and works very well for doing searches (which is what I need). Youtube returned a message indicating the SeaMonkey version I have is not supported.

#12 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:39 AM

Internet Explorer 6 & Opera 9.6 - Forget them!

Im using IE6 (MyIE2) and I always have and love it!! (Its fast,etc)

#13 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:53 AM

There are older versions of Firefox that work with 98SE but never ever and I mean ever use Opera. A while ago I installed it on my 2000 SP4 and it kept giving me Bad Pool Caller BSOD screens and then I immediately uninstalled it from my 2000 SP4 and instead used an older version of Firefox that was compatible with my 2000 SP4 desktop.

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:24 AM

There are older versions of Firefox that work with 98SE but never ever and I mean ever use Opera.

Which version of Opera are you referring to? The older versions with the presto engine? Or the current iteration with the webkit engine based on chromium? The older versions of 12(webkit) or older have been known to work. The current iterations that are chromium based (Ver.15 and newer) are problematic with older OS's.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#15 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:57 PM

There are older versions of Firefox that work with 98SE but never ever and I mean ever use Opera.

Which version of Opera are you referring to? The older versions with the presto engine? Or the current iteration with the webkit engine based on chromium? The older versions of 12(webkit) or older have been known to work. The current iterations that are chromium based (Ver.15 and newer) are problematic with older OS's.

I think that it was a newer version compatible with 2000 SP4.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users