Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard drive Partitioning

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joecartoonfn

joecartoonfn

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

So, I have a 4TB external that I had originally formatted into 3.4TB in one FAT32 partition and the rest of the space on another FAT32 partition. Recently, I tried getting rid of the smaller partition and expanding the larger partition using Paragon Partition Manager. After this, the drive showed up normally on my Windows 7 computer as one partition occupying all of the space. On my Mac Mountain Lion computer however, it still showed two FAT32 partitions with the same space as before. This puzzled me greatly, so I used iPartition on my mac to make it all one partition again. Now on both my mac and Windows it showed one partition of 3.4TB and about 500MB of unallocated space (the amount of space my other partition had). So I used Paragon Partition Manager again to try to expand my first partition to occupy the rest of the space. In the middle of this process, I got an error saying "file system has allocation errors due to cross-linked files." Now the drive shows up in Disk Management in Windows, but not as a drive that I can access under computer. It does still show up on my Mac and all of the files seem to be intact still. I tried using it on my Playstation 3 for further testing, and it does not work as it used to. Sorry if all of this is confusing, as I am very confused myself. I would like to know if anyone could help me before I further tamper with the drive. I would greatly, greatly appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

Hi,

Exactly what do you hope to accomplish? What partition sizes and formats are you looking to install on the drive? Do you want partitions for Mac and PC?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

You might need to try to use exFAT if you want to use your drive from your PC and your Mac.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#4 joecartoonfn

joecartoonfn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

I was formatted to FAT32 originally and it would read fine on my mac, windows, and PS3. Now it only reads on the mac.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,242 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

I am not sure how you were able to format a FAT32 partition past 2TB as that is the limit for a MBR disk and a sector size of 512k. With the external drive attached to the MAC, open up a terminal and type the following.

disutil list diskutil list

Paste the results in your next post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 June 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#6 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

So I used Paragon Partition Manager again to try to expand my first partition to occupy the rest of the space. In the middle of this process, I got an error saying "file system has allocation errors due to cross-linked files." Now the drive shows up in Disk Management in Windows, but not as a drive that I can access under computer. It does still show up on my Mac and all of the files seem to be intact still. I tried using it on my Playstation 3 for further testing, and it does not work as it used to. Sorry if all of this is confusing, as I am very confused myself. I would like to know if anyone could help me before I further tamper with the drive. I would greatly, greatly appreciate any help.

Use "Merge" command instead of "Expand" if you want to come up with only 1 partition. Expand will not work with "unallocated partitions". And "unallocated partitions" don't appear as a drive until you create a new volume out of it.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

Hi,

I'm getting the impression that your best solution will be to spell out what you need so we can advise you on how to obtain it. As mentioned you have tried to exceed the limitations of the software. While it may appear to have accomplished the task there will be problems trying to use the oversized partition.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users