Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore pc to factory settings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rdpuk65

rdpuk65

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

Hi.  I have an Acer nettop which originally came with Win 7 64 bit and I then upgraded to Windows 8.  I would like to sell it but obviously need to remove all my personal data first.  My question is what's is the best way to do this?  I have no CD so I would have to restore PC via recovery partition.  If I do that will my data be safely destroyed? And once restored to Win 7 factory settings, will I be able to re-use my upgrade to Win 8? Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

That depends on just how much security you want with the old data.  The most secure obviously is to remove the hard drive and give it a few good whacks with a sledge hammer.  I'll quickly add that's a bit drastic for most purposes tho.  The easiest thing to do would probably to delete most everything from your My Documents and Downloads folders, delete all your emails and contacts (if you're using an email client), then delete all your pictures.  If you have an application with your financial data, uninstall it and any folders it keeps your data in.  Then do a defrag.  I guess a security close to the sledge hammer would be to run something like DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke), then reload all the software.  There're probably other things some folks do, but when I worked a few years refurbishing old computers, we did the last of these.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

Is it possible to create a set of recovery disks?

Is this a solid state hard drive (SSD) or a mechanical drive?

Like wpgwpg, I recommend using Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) to completely wipe the drive.  However, this will not allow you to restore from the recovery partition and results on a SSD may not be as expected due to additional space used for wear leveling.

You could try using a program such as Eraser to wipe the free and slack space of the drive before doing the recovery.

Restoring from the recovery partition should delete your data for the average user, the dedicated person could still recover information.

I do not know if you will be able to reuse your Windows 8 upgrade.  You should be able to, depending on how it was obtained and what type of license you have.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

Use the slide out the bar from the right go to settings, change pc settings, general, select remove everything and reinstall windows, press next, select clean the drive fully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users