Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connecting the parallel port on the motherboard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 clinton.brits

clinton.brits

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:58 PM

I have an old dexxa 4800 scanner which uses a lpt port. When I bought my PC, there was no parallel port at the back of the PC. I noticed that under com and lpt ports in the control panel, there was a lpt port.

I opened the case and there were pins on the motherboard so I connected a connector and then went into the CMOS and set the lot method to EPP. I was hoping this would work but when I opened the scanner software, nothing opened. I clicked on the start control panel and explorer stopped responding.

I assumed this was a conflict and to take a small step back, I disabled the lpt port in the CMOS but no change. Its not until I removed the connection to the motherboard that I can load windows normally and get into the control panel again.

The orientation is correct because the pins are numbered on the board with a 1 and 2 on the one side and a 24 and 25 on the other.

Is there something I'm missing?

Edit : the PC is running windows xp

Edited by clinton.brits, 03 June 2014 - 02:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

did it come with any driver software by any chance? and is it possible the connector you purchased is bad?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

Whats the make of the motherboard?

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:23 PM

Why not just buy an expansion card to add a parallel port?  I assume you have the XP driver & software for using that scanner.  Of course you could buy a new USB connected scanner at prices starting around $60 too.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 clinton.brits

clinton.brits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:32 AM

I looked further and there was one setting I overlooked. I changed the on board lot to 278/irq5 which I'm told represents LPT2 and all the problems with not responding go away.

As I expected, the scanner software loads but cannot locate the scanner probably because its probably looking in the wrong place. I opened control panel and looked under scanners hoping to just edit the relevant property but being an old giloppy it doesn't appear here. How would this change my driver install or setup.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

Did you install the drivers for the scanner? sometimes, especially with XP you have to install the correct driver before windows will recognize the device.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 clinton.brits

clinton.brits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:54 AM

The scanner is long before xp and a driver was never made for xp. The driver everybody is using is a driver for a umax view station 4800 which from what I here works well for others but I can't seem to get it to work. Its a shame because its a really fantastic scanner even though it comes from the 90's.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

well, it may not work short of running an older version of windows inside of an emulator.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users