Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping Computer Ads Attempting to Install Malware?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

When browsing the Bleeping Computer Forums (when not logged in), I have become used to the "Fight Cancer" advertisements that persistently slide-in at the bottom right of the window.

Today, however, the following appeared about the need to install "Flash Player HD":

NI2yqg1.png

After some research, I suspected this was bogus -- I don't think Adobe has a product called the "Flash Player HD".  Just to test, I clicked anyway ... and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) Premium immediately raised a roadblock:

gni0Ckd.png

XnEw314.png

I recall reading in the past that Bleeping Computer has no control over the advertisements that are displayed on the Bleeping Computer site, but just imagine yourself as an inexperienced user coming here for help for the first time and the above scenario occurs (but probably without the intervention done by MBAM). 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

OK thanks. Disabling this ad until further notice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users