Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Easy Transfer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Andyhs

Andyhs

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

I've been following your site's very concise instructions on transferring data from a Vista PC to a new Win 8.1 system.  I have all the files copied onto an external disk and come to plug that into the new system, but when I tell it to transfer, I get a message that the programme can't transfer files from Vista, but no other help or advice from MS.  Can you direct me to a working solution please?

Thanks

Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

It might have to do with the files you selected to transfer.  Any chance you can have them both on the network at the same time and copy the files over the network?

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

Kilroy has suggested what I always do.  However another alternative would be to get an external hard drive, copy your data to it (using copy and paste), move the external hard drive to the new PC and copy them over.  You could use a flash drive instead of the external hard drive if the volume of data is small enough, and you don't mind a good bit slower speed.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 Andyhs

Andyhs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

Gentlemen - many thanks for your responses to my query.  Both computers are on the network, but I'm afraid I don't know how to copy files from one device to the other.  Can you help me wit that please?

Also, with Win 8.1 being so different from Windows I'm familiar with, I can't see how to drag and drop the way I could before.  How do I 'see' the external drive and the target folders?

Thanks again

Andy

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

Since both computers are on the same network you can use the Easy Transfer.  It looks like the Bleeping Computer guide uses a hard drive.  This guide covers the network version.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:33 PM

Install the new easy transfer tool on both machines might fix the problem.

#7 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:21 PM

With Windows 8.1 I do almost everything in desktop mode.  That way copy & paste works the same as with Windows 7.  If you download and install the free Classic Shell from classicshell.net, you can make 8.1 look and feel just like Windows 7 (like I did).

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#8 Andyhs

Andyhs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

Thanks again for your help, but I'm afraid I'm still in trouble!  In WET I get the welcome screen, so click 'Next' and get a screen asking me if I've already saved my files to a HDD or USB flash drive.  I haven't, so click on 'No' and the program closes!  There's no option to select 'Network' as the transfer medium.  Any more ideas please...?

#9 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

Copy and paste?

#10 Andyhs

Andyhs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

Thanks again for taking the trouble to post a reply.  I've been unable to make Easy Transfer do the job (bit of a misnomer, that, huh?!), but, thanks to your words of wisdom, I've been able to get everything transferred across.

I'm tempted by the Classic Shell idea, but am nervous lest it cocks something up.  If we don't like it, can it be un-installed so's we go back to regular Win 8.1?

Cheers 

#11 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Thanks again for taking the trouble to post a reply.  I've been unable to make Easy Transfer do the job (bit of a misnomer, that, huh?!), but, thanks to your words of wisdom, I've been able to get everything transferred across.

I'm tempted by the Classic Shell idea, but am nervous lest it cocks something up.  If we don't like it, can it be un-installed so's we go back to regular Win 8.1?

Cheers 

I've been using Classic Shell on 6 PCs for 1.5 years without the first problem.  The CNET gurus say they use it in their shops all the time.  CNET is where I learned about it.  There's also a similar product called Start8.  The biggest difference as far as I'm concerned is that Classic Shell is free and Start8 costs $5.  $5 is very cheap as long as you're talking about one or two PCs, but it adds up if you're talking about lots of them.

Good luck.

#12 Andyhs

Andyhs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

Thanks again.  I think I'll see how my wife gets on with Win 8.1, then if she continues to struggle, go for your shell suggestion.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users