Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba A300 weird noise , now shuts off

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Leeboy20

Leeboy20

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

Hi, I'm new to the forum . I have a older toshiba A300 and over the last 6 months , I was hearing a slight kinda scratching noise . Kinda like a DVD or record not aligned while it's spinning. Every now and then i would wake up and it would have been restarted on its own . This past week , the noise has gotten all of a sudden a lot louder and this morning , on start up , it boots up like normal then shuts off. Power is staying to the lap top, but when I turn it on , that awful light scratching noise then shuts down after 5-10 seconds. Would it be the hard drive shot ? Replaceable? Everything lost ? Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

:welcome: Leeboy20 to Bleeping computer Community :)

Would it be the hard drive shot ? Replaceable? Everything lost?

Most likely the hard drive's platter and spindle is creating the whirring noise at this point. The drive is replaceable though but of course, data recovery is the important part of this process if you would need to retrieve important files from the hard disk. By using a USB IDE/SATA enclosure such as this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817388010 then you would be able to connect to any USB 2.0 port from your computer then hopefully save your files to the host PC.

Tekken

#3 Leeboy20

Leeboy20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

I just noticed something. Before , if I pulled the power/charging cord, I would have 30 mins or so, when I pulled the cord today to let it sit and cool off( if it was overheating) it immediately loses power. Could it be a completely stoned dead battery causing this ?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

Sounds like it needs to be cleaned!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 Leeboy20

Leeboy20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

Last night , I pulled the battery out , plugged it in and all I get is a quick light on then shut down ... Put the battery back in and it started booting up , but then shut down again. Now even with the battery in , it only boots up as much as it did with the battery out

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:29 PM

Did you follow already Oldphil's suggestion? Fan, heatsink, processor and GPU chip reapplication of thermal paste might be needed at this point.

Toshiba Satellite PDF Disassemlby Manual

Tekken

#7 Leeboy20

Leeboy20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

Hi, no I didn't . That stuff is a little out of my league for sure . I'm good at pulling apart , not putting back

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

The case might be with a fast shutdown on both instances of battery inserted or without and only the AC adapter directly connected is due to a motherboard problem, heat or thermal issues such as clogged fan/ventillation, dry thermal paste on processor and GPU chip, bad or generic AC adapter. It's possible to have a qualified techinician take a look of these problems for a minimal fee if you decide to revive the laptop depending on the diagnose and expenses or just replace it with a newer model if the budget is available of course. :)

Tekken

#9 Leeboy20

Leeboy20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

Heres an update to my problem....I ordered a $30 laptop battery of amazon.....Recieved it yesterday...BAM....Problem solved . Thanks for all the options .

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the update Leeboy20. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#11 Leeboy20

Leeboy20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

Well unfortunately , I have another update .... It's down again. Worked for a whole day . It seemed like it wasn't charging or something . I would pull the power/charging cord , the screen would dim, and say battery low, then I push the cord back in , the screen brightens up , but the battery never got any fuller. Why would
A new battery bring it to life then a day later dead . Does the same thing , turns on , and starts to boot up , then black out.

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

It is a fixable item.

https://www.google.com/search?q=toshiba+A300+lap+top+charge+circuit+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#13 Leeboy20

Leeboy20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

If someone was to take a approx guess , how much might this cost if it was a charging port/ soldering issue or something ?

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

Any updates Leeboy20? If the problem is more of a soldering problem with the particular area as Oldphil has mentioned, this would depend on your location, technician minimum charges and or the shop itself.

Tekken

#15 Leeboy20

Leeboy20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:13 PM

Hey gang, I'm hoping to have a day off mid week and get a estimate. I'm in Kamloops BC , Canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users