Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard/Mice not detected

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dilute

Dilute

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:24 AM

So I turned on my PC today, only to find my keyboard and mouse not working. I tried restarting, but no luck. I then tried using an alternative set of Keyboard and mouse, which did not work too. So I tried resetting the CMOS memory, which didn't solve the problem either. I'm using my PS Vita to post right now, so I cant provide my PC specs using speccy. I can however give a rough idea. OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit Processor: Intel i5 650 @3.20 Ghz RAM: 4 GB GPU: Intel HD Graphics 2000

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:28 AM

Visually inspect all of the usb ports of the computer for damage or shorting pins. Remove all usb devices and plug in a known working keyboard and test again.

A single bad usb device can cause all others to malfunction when connected.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Dilute

Dilute
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

The hardware works until the OS boots up. For examines le, I reset the CMOS memory by accessing the BIOS menu, whch I wasable to access via my keyboard. Also, the alternate mouse I'm using is an optical one, so its actually getting power, but not detected by the PC.

EDIT: Tried what you said, but didn't work. No damaged/short USB ports either.

Edited by Dilute, 03 June 2014 - 09:46 AM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

Since the keyboard works at a bios leve, this appears to be software related more specifically an issue in windows.

You may have to boot to safe mode to do the following:

Go to the computer manufacturers website and download the newest chipset drivers and usb 3.0 drivers if they have them available. These might also be available at the motherboard manufacturers website.

If new drivers do not help, I would go into device manager and uninstall the usb devices listed under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, then restart the computer and see if usb devices work.

How to get into safe mode (there are 11 pages): http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-safe-mode.htm

or here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-windows-8-in-safe-mode/

If none of those methods work, I will need to know the manufacturer of the computer. They may have a key to tap to access recovery options. From recovery options you may be able to run a restore point.

Edited by zingo156, 03 June 2014 - 09:48 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Dilute

Dilute
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

I tried going into Safe Mode earlier too, but apparently the F8 method was removed from Windows 8. Also, the links you provided provide methods which require access to a normal bootup, which I currently cannot.

#6 Dilute

Dilute
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

Okay, I've booted into safe mode, but my hardware isn't working in that too.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

Did you ever get a screen with recovery options? Doing a system restore may fix the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users