Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello I'm new and need serious help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Virusmunchies1

Virusmunchies1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:51 AM

Hello everyone I'm new and need help with a virus. Normally I am pretty good with virus removal, my favorite are the rogue programs that hijack your computer, for me these a pretty easy to remove because I know how they behave. Other viruses that hide themselves or ones that that manage to restore themselves even after some heavy pounding by antivirus software and other removal tools make me mad.

I would consider myself to be a little better than the average computer user in terms of dealing with computer issues, but when its starts to become hardcore technical I get confused.

So I was browsing the web, and got redirected to an ad with a virus. After it got on my computer it when at my firewall and antivirus nonstop, (Avast and zone alarm) it even prevented me from disabling my wifi, I would turn the wifi off, virus would turn it back on. So I ran Avast, then its boot time scan. Then I ran Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes deleted most of the infected files. However there is one that remains, Avast couldn't remove it because a portion of the file was locked and Malwarebytes deletes it but if I ran a new scan it stills shows up.

Nasty little thing is in the owner\appdata\roaming folder. Viruses love the appdata folder, and usually the viruses show up in a random string of characters that say "Hi I'm virus, please kill me." This one however is nowhere too be found. The hidden files option is on. One of my burning questions is How do they hide the file from view even when you know its file path and location?

So that's a summary of what I've been dealing with. If someone could please point in the right section of the forums to post for help with this that be great.

Thanks

Edit: found my flashdrive with hitmanpro on it. Virus is dead. It died horrible, horrible death. :) Hitmanpro is like that secret boss level in a game. Its chews up ands craps out even the most seasoned virus.

Edited by Virusmunchies1, 03 June 2014 - 04:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

Have you tried running Malwarebytes and your antivirus scans in Safe Mode?  Sometimes these nasties can hide in normal mode but are less likely to do so in Safe Mode since much of the normal startup stuff doesn't get loaded.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Virusmunchies1

Virusmunchies1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

The virus is gone, I cant find any trace of it on my computer. (I removed it with hitmanpro) Antivirus programs are wonderful today, if one doesn't do the trick the other will. Avast has a boot time scan, that can remove most viruses. If that doesn't work then I use malwarebytes. Finally if all else fails I have like 3-4 flash drives with specific malware killers on it like hitmanpro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users