Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this normal type pop ups?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 samgreen

samgreen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:39 AM

Hello,

I am new to this forum. Before I created an account, I would just google the problem and bleepingcomputer would show up in the results and then I would follow the link. So here is my problem, I have been getting pop ups. I followed the suggestions listed here in the forum such as running rkill, adwcleaner, malwarebytes and the others listed, but I am still getting pop ups no matter what I have tried. I even tried doing all the suggestions in safe mode. The results indicate no problems.

I am not sure if it is normal to get pop ups when going to various websites. In other words, is it normal for a website to display pop ups as part of the website? Can I block those pop ups and if so, how?

I get 2 pop ups every time I go to bleepingcomputer forums which I thought was odd since that is where I was looking for information to stop pop ups. Since I created an account here (a few minutes ago,) I notice I do not get those 2 pop ups if I am signed into bleepingcomputer, but if I am signed out, I get those pop ups. Is this normal behavior? Can I stop those pop ups even if I am not signed into bleepingcomputer?

Thanks for any help with this.

Please keep in mind I am not very computer savvy.

Edited by hamluis, 04 June 2014 - 09:01 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:09 AM

Hi Sam  :welcome:  to BC.

Browser type please, Eg , Internet Explorer Fire Fox Etc, You may just need a popup blocker plug in for your browser.

Also the Malware response guys may have other questions.

Please keep in mind I am not very computer savvy.

When surfing the net, You should be running a minumum of see bellow. ( I prefer Firefox)

Get FireFox. If you do not have it.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Add these PlugIns.

AddBlock Plus.

https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

PopUpBlocker.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus-pop-up-addon/?src=hp-dl-mostpopular

Ghostery.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/

No Script.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/

Read This,

NoScript Configuration Guide

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/529612/noscript-configuration-guide/

Edit.

As well as running normal PC security, Eg, Antivirus, Firewall, Etc.

Edited by NickAu1, 03 June 2014 - 01:43 AM.

#3 samgreen

samgreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

Thank you for the nice welcome and your reply.

I use primarily Firefox for surfing the Internet. I also have Chrome (mainly use it to go to one website) and I.E. I verified I have Pop-up blocker option checked on all 3 browsers. These pop ups happen in all the browsers. I will try your suggestions. I thought as long as the browser has a Pop-up blocker option that would be enough. I'll let you know after I try your suggestions what happens.

I thought it was odd that bleepingcomputer forums has pop ups.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

What pop up ad's are you seeing here at Bleeping Computer when not signed in?

Are you seeing a box pop up at the top of the page with an ad for Google Apps for Business or whatever other thing is being advertised?

Are you talking about the slider for cancer?

You will see ad's by BC AdBot and ad's at the top and bottom of the page if not signed in.

All of the above are normal for those who are not signed in. At one time they were placed there by Google. I will assume this is still the case.

One of the advantages of creating an account and signing in is the ad's will not be displayed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 June 2014 - 08:25 AM.

#5 samgreen

samgreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:30 AM

Thank you Queen-Evie for explaining those pop-ups are normal. Those are the pop-ups I am seeing when not logged in. I thought I had done something else and infected my computer again after cleaning up the adware stuff. I did not realize that even after checking off the Pop-up Blocker options in the browswers that pop-ups could still occur.

Edited by samgreen, 03 June 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#6 samgreen

samgreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

Thank you NickAu1. I did all your suggestions. My Firefox was already up to date. The plug-ins worked great. I was under the assumption if the Pop-up Blocker from the browser was checked then it would block all pop-ups.  Thanks again for all your help! :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users