Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is DTS Surround Sensation a hogwash marketing ploy?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

I'm schooled in sound engineering... so I understand that a sound source that comes from 2 separate channels and has two (or more) separate audio outputs is described as stereo. It was always my understanding that you cannot possibly have 5.1 sound on headphones because you don't have 5 speakers and a sub in 2 headphone speakers... Physically impossible. right?

Then I see DTS Surround Sensation, 5.1 sound on headphones... This is just market hype right? just a trick of phasing and panning to create this effect. Has anyone ever has experience with this "technology"? Is this any good for consumer audio? or just snake oil?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Synthhead

Synthhead

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:51 AM

Its just Encoder And Decoder.. You are correct it does not do anything when you have headphones, and even if you have a 5.1 setup,  if the audio you are playing back is not 5.1 you will only get same sounds on all the channels and quieter on some...  Not really marketing bullbleep, but may be that some company is using that making it marketing bullbleep..

However one thing thats marketing bs for sure is THX.

Edited by Synthhead, 06 June 2014 - 01:56 AM.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:39 AM

Yeah, my thoughts exactly... I did come across these guys a couple of years ago that appear to be doing the real thing, obviously it's not cheap.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/2681/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users