Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repairing internal HDD via USB adapter?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 joseph21

joseph21

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

Hello everyone,

I was attempting to repair a computer with a corrupted boot file. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do this through the computer because of the bios being locked with password that no one knows. The computer was bought from a pawn shop. I think I have come up with an idea that I thought I would try but wanted to see what you fellows thought. I was considering removing the hard drive from the computer then connecting it to my computer. I would remove my hard drive to ensure that my drive wasn't messed with. Then boot by either USB or Disk. What do you guys think? would this be possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:51 AM

Well pulling the bios battery will typically reset the password. However, with newer laptops it's becoming increasingly difficult to bypass the bios or accessing data on the drive. All of this due to the new UEFI bios and TMP chips they have built in. UEFI also protects the system from being boot off a USB stick or CD-ROM. There are some tricks though still to bypass and clearing the bios. There are lots of youtube video's going into that area. I have done it myself a couple times, although each system is different and attempting it has it's risks. A 50/50 chance of completely destroying it. It involves a lot of tearing down the system to locate the small chip and then soldering leads to specific chip pins and then tapping them together as the computer boots, thus basically zapping the bios chip and forcing it to reset. The hard drive however will be a paper weight and must be replaced if it can't be formated. A TMP/encrypted drive cannot be formatted, that's the whole point and in turn protecting the drives integrity. The first thing to do is research the make and model of the laptop and your options on how to recover the laptop's lost bios password/data factory reset.

Edited by technonymous, 03 June 2014 - 05:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users