Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is your experience with Microsoft Security Essentials

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 arfeb5

arfeb5

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

I been using Windows Microsoft Security Essentials since W7 came up and now I used it on W8, I had never any problems getting a virus and I do recommend activating this software every time people ask me for a good antivirus program, main reason people like this program is because is already build in to the OS it just need to be activated, what are your experiences with this program?
What is your experience with Microsoft Security Essentials?
Thanks' for your feed back.

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:11 AM

Windows 8 integrates Windows Defender on Windows 8, a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows 8 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and uses the same virus definition updates. Since the new Windows Defender is integrated you cannot use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8...in fact MSE is blocked from installation.

* Windows Defender on Windows 8 - Introduction and FAQs
* Windows 8: new and improved security features
* Windows 8 Security: Defender Antivirus
* Windows Defender and Windows SmartScreen
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

I've use Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7 for 3 years and never got infected.  I'm now on Windows 8.1 and I use Windows Defender and I'm yet to be infected.  As and aside, I also use WinPatrol, Firefox with NoScript and WOT, Sandboxie (for 99.9% of my surfing), and Malwarebytes Free for on-demand scans.

However, together with all this, I've also educated myself and practice safe computing habits.  I believe education and safe practices has just as much to do with keeping me safe as do the preventitive programs.  I don't think any amount of protection can save a person from themself if they engage in risky behavior like visiting bad sites or are gullible enough to fall victim to social engineering traps.

Edited by Agouti, 03 June 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

I've been using Defender (which includes MSE) with Windows 8 for 3 years on 6 computers without the first problem.  I must say I agree with Agouti about safe practices.  I've known folks who've never had a problem for years who suddenly get serious infections after letting kids play with their computers unattended.  You can't ever get 100% security anywhere on computers or anywhere else, but you can avoid doing things likely to cause problems, get behind a hardware firewall, and use good antimalware and antivirus software.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,763 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software. Security begins with personal responsibility and following Best Practices for Safe Computing. Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone can have.

#6 arfeb5

arfeb5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

Think's for your replies very informative.

Another question W7 and W8 or W8.1 has defender build in what about Windows Firewall do you guys really trust Windows Firewall or do you recommend using a different firewall software and witch one.

Thank you.

#7 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

I think both a hardware and software are what you want.  If you're behind a router, that gives you a hardware firewall.  If you're not behind one, you can buy them for as little as $15.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,763 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

... what about Windows Firewall do you guys really trust Windows Firewall or do you recommend using a different firewall software and witch one.

Most concerns you may have heard or read about the Windows Firewall were in the XP operating system so many users were advised to use third-party alternatives. Microsoft significantly improved the firewall to address these concerns in Vista and then added more improvements in Windows 7/8.

5 Reasons Why the Windows Firewall is One of the Best Firewalls.

For more information see Choosing a Firewall.

#9 arfeb5

arfeb5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

Thank you Quietman7 and WPGWPG.

Edited by arfeb5, 04 June 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

Unfortunately, MSE didn't serve me well, as the nastiest infection of my computing days slid by the app, untouched until it was too late.

At the time, in late 2009/early 2010, recall being interested in trying out the Safari browser, being that it was bundled with Google Safe Search by default. Nor had I used any Apple software, so thought I'd give the browser a shot. Yes it was nice looking, though tricky for me at first.

Well, the next day, I made a bad mistake in thinking that my back was covered, being that Safe Search was built in. Traveled the Internet quite much that day, after 3-4 hours, there were roughly 10-12 tabs open, so to this day I cannot determine which site caused the issue. The first thing I noticed was a freezing of the browser. Then a box popped up, looking to be that of MSE, stating that my computer needed cleaning (I assumed a short scan). That's when everything came crashing down, I desperately tried to open MSE, by which time was throwing several warnings, couldn't open MBAM (Free), SuperAntiSpyware, Windows Defender couldn't be enabled, neither could the MRT tool (the one we get monthly) be ran from the Start Menu.

Tried to download a couple of online scanners, eventually all browsers were shut down. By that time, Windows Explorer froze, so had to hard shut down the PC.

There was still an XP install beside of this Windows 7 install (BTW which both were TechNet versions & not my personal, so my data wasn't stolen). I booted into XP, let MSE update, also manually updated MBAM Free, scanned with MSE first. There were numerous objects found on two Full scans, the third one showed clean. Ran MBAM Free, again it took 2 Full scans to clean & as was with MSE all was clean. By that time, I was quite tired & let it go until the next day.

Next morning, fired up Windows 7. Shortly after reboot, the MSE notification area showed as red & a box appeared warning to update. I thought nothing of it, clicked to update & the whole 9 yards started all over & again performed a fast hard shutdown.

Ended up formatting the Windows 7 partition & reinstalled. Soon afterwards, someone on the Windows 7 forum where I was participating linked me a ESET NOD32 3PC/1year promo on the Newegg site for $25, along with MBAM Pro for like $15, plus a 4GB Flash drive & I've never looked back to MSE. That was the end of my infections, what few I have encountered, either NOD32/Smart Security or MBAM Pro cut them off in short order.

I have a hunch though, had I been using MBAM Pro to begin with, the infection may never had happened. And is why I no longer depend on Free security for OS's that I frequently use. Do use Avast Free on Windows 8.1, however the OS is only used once a month to update the OS & it's apps, no need to waste a license key there.

My final advise on MSE is this. If one is going to run it, combine with MBAM Pro for best possible protection & play it careful. There are still MBAM Pro Lifetime licenses on the Newegg site, though don't know how long this will last.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 04 June 2014 - 08:34 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 arfeb5

arfeb5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

Thank you cat1092 for your feedback very detail and informative. Thank you!!!

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

Tough experience cat.

arfeb5 is using Windows Defender on Windows 8 which may be similar to MSE but not entirely the same as we used with Windows 7 and XP. So far, Windows Defender 8 appears to be doing a much better job.

In any event, I agree it should be combined with a trustworthy and effective anti-malware program like MBAM Premium or Emsisoft Anti-Malware (EAM).

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

quiteman7 brought up an app that hasn't really been popular with North American users yet, but I have a hunch it will end up being a better known one, Emsisoft Anti Malware (AV/AM app in one). It's been on AV-Comparatives radar for at least a year now & on one test, posted a whopping 100% on the first time around. Success won't be ignored for long.

Early last year, I grabbed two OEM copies of the software (1PC/1/Year) for $10 each from Newegg, the initial install has expired & am currently using their Beta Internet Security app. For whatever reason, Newegg no longer carries the software, wished I had been able to grab the 5 copy limit. It runs on very modest resources, yet it's powerful protection. My guess is that the folks at Emsisoft values their hard work & doesn't want to give it away during monthly Newegg promos, they already give discounts to those who renews from their site. That initial promo that I grabbed was likely an introduction to gain market share. Satisfied customers will likely renew.

BTW, EAM was once a Free security app with their former A2 scanner, this has been some time back. I also use the 100% Free Emsisoft Emengency Kit to disinfect known compromised computers, this can be carried on a Flash drive to scan multiple computers with.

As to MSE for Windows 7/Vista (XP users are reporting adverse issues), there has likely been improvements over the years & it's certainly better than running no security. I won't go as far as to say I'll never run the app again, but rest assured there will be a backup in MBAM Pro used (or EAM). Not as the only active option to cover my back. No way.

Windows Defender on Windows 8 is sort of like MSE, however more agressive. If one were to run Windows 8 for say 4-6 hours & then open CCleaner & analyse, making sure that Windows Defender is checked for cleaning, it will be seen that WD is almost constantly scanning the file system. As in that time, a number of logs will be generated & shown for deletion. The downside is that it can't be fine tuned as much as MSE. However I have to give MS credit where it belongs, Windows 8 has active security as soon as the OS is installed & prior to updating, this helps to prevent infections from the first boot.

I also believe that the reports that were released last year (to the best of my recollection), were only bits & pieces of the interview & different sources spun Holly Stewart's words to fit their story or agenda. If MS really felt that MSE was that bad of an app, that it's customers were as insecure as reported by various sources, they'd have pulled the plug on MSE. MS has pulled other apps, MSE is no different. Their reputation is on the line here, if these spun around stories were even close to being fact, MSE would have been history within days or weeks of the story.

That's another example of why we cannot believe every word on the Internet, another fact of this story is that most spun it in a different light, if one expects their reporting to be credible, stick together with one version. Not ten or more. And that's why I had doubts from the go, there was the story on one page with a link to a similar on the same.

On a scale of 1 through 10, I give MSE an 8.5, as a standalone app.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 04 June 2014 - 09:46 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

EAM combines its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus utilizing two scanning engines for superior detection and removal of malware infections effectively.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware Reviews

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

As I stated above, customers won't continue to ignore or overlook success. EAM will see increased usage in the North American market, especially from customers who chooses to do the research. AV-Comparatives is as close as calling it down the middle as any source. Testing details, including how performed, are available on the site.

http://www.anti-malware-reviews.com/2014/04/22/advancedplus-in-av-comparatives-file-detection-test-march-2014/

As to the fate of MSE, considering the better Free alternatives available (notably Avast), along with AV-Comparatives analysis of the app, the future doesn't look promising.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users