Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New laptop adapter is not detected (Intel Centrino Wireless-n 2230). Help please

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FatLord

FatLord

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

Hello guys.

My brother owns a Dell XPS L501X laptop, which is 3 years old. Recently, his original network adapter (an Intel Centrino Wireless-n 1000) has broken, so I decided to buy a new one from Ebay. I chose the Intel Centrino Wireless-n 2230 for its good reliability and new features (it was bought from a popular seller from the US, with 21 watchers).

However, after installing it in the laptop, it hasn't shown any sign of life with no failed installation notice whatsoever. I tried to install countless drivers from the web, more precisely from OEM websites (Lenovo, Dell, Acer) or from other random websites; nothing as worked yet. I also tried to install the card into my wife's Dell Studio 15 (which is 5 years old); still no luck, the other laptop doesn't recognize it either. Moreover, I tried to uninstall the Ethernet Controller's drivers from the device manager to see if it made a difference, to no avail.

It is also worth to mention that there is no original Centrino Wireless-n 2230 driver made specifically for the Dell L501X. I made perfectly sure the black and white connectors were properly attached to the adapter, and rebooted the laptop many times.

Now I am desperate (at the very least). I don't know what to do, and my brother thinks I'm a total redneck (he's not entirely wrong, heh!). Could someone assist me and tell me what's wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much everyone! -A.J

Edited by FatLord, 03 June 2014 - 06:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcta79

jcta79

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

FatLord what you can do is go to this link which is Intel's own driver for that wireless card

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wireless-N+2230

After installing this driver I think you should be able to use this card. 

May want to check this forum out about problems with this card

https://communities.intel.com/thread/32017?start=0&tstart=0

hope this helps

#3 FatLord

FatLord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

Thank you very much sir for your input.

However, I already tried these steps and it did not work.

Anything else I haven't checked, anyone, really?

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

I suspect the card is bad.

Edited by ElfBane, 03 June 2014 - 03:44 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to Network Adapters in Device Manager?

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 June 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#6 FatLord

FatLord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

There is no yellow exclamation mark in the device manager since the card doesn't even show up in device manager.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

If the adapter does not show in Device Manager then no amount of driver installs is going to work. The card is either bad as ElfBane said or it's possible the card is not permitted to be used because of BIOS whitelist. I am not sure if Dell does this but HP has a BIOS whitelist for wireless cards on their laptops. Anything that is not HP will not work. Their excuse for this was because of FCC certification on the Wireless.

I found this. According to Dell they do not.

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/442828-dell-blocking-non-dell-branded-wireless-cards

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 June 2014 - 06:12 PM.

#8 FatLord

FatLord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

If the adapter does not show in Device Manager then no amount of driver installs is going to work. The card is either bad as ElfBane said or it's possible the card is not permitted to be used because of BIOS whitelist. I am not sure if Dell does this but HP has a BIOS whitelist for wireless cards on their laptops. Anything that is not HP will not work. Their excuse for this was because of FCC certification on the Wireless.

I found this. According to Dell they do not.

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/442828-dell-blocking-non-dell-branded-wireless-cards

Very interesting finding, John! I guess the wireless card is defective. I don't think I'll ask for my 15$ back from Ebay, since it's not a large amount of money and the product has been unsealed. I've just posted a new topic on Dell Community's website and will wait for an answer.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

Okay, Please let us know how everything works out.

#10 FatLord

FatLord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

Meanwhile, I'll try to fit in another wireless card from and old Acer Aspire One 521.

#11 Ozntr

Ozntr

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:39 AM

Edited by Ozntr, 14 January 2016 - 03:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users