Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are You Cool With a Drone-Filled Society?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Plug 1

Plug 1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

(my apologies to the mods if this thread has been posted in the wrong spot.)

I've been reading about it in the papers, Saw stuff on tv, but somehow this video really grabbed me:

For one thing, its absolutely amazing!  On the other hand, I am not quite certain that I would be at ease roaming around a drone filled landscape.  Maybe that's just my tin foil hat paranoia manifesting itself.  Perhaps.  But did anyone foresee the always-online-selfie-taking-web-2.0-smartphone society we now live in, back in 2000?

I certainly didn't.  Okay sure, the internet had quickly consumed a large chunk of our everyday lives (and way of life) by the turn of this century.  And for better and worse, I have embraced our 21st century society (except for the spying and unsecure data parts).  But this is a new frontier.  

There are two things that unsettle me:

• Any gadget can be modified by those with the necessary aptitude.
  • The laws regarding drone use are murky, to say the least.
I'm not screaming the sky is falling, but what I am saying is that drones can quickly become that next gadget almost everyone has.  My question is twofold; are you comfortable with this?  And, will that ultimately be a GOOD thing?

Edit: Moved topic from iPod, Zune & MP3 Players to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

It's not a tin foil hat you will need, it's a tin helmet. These things can fall out of the sky ! 

Did you see that quite gorgeous video that was made with one in Nancy, France three or four months back ?  Some places do already have regulations in place, I saw the other day that the creator of that video got fined a total of €400 in court. €100 for breach of flight regulations and €300 for 'public endangerment'.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

Do I want my new PC delivered this way? I doubt it.  Smuglers are using drones to deliver drugs .

Amazon plans to use delivery drones with Prime Air service

http://www.news.com.au/technology/amazon-plans-to-use-delivery-drones-with-prime-air-service/story-e6frfrnr-1226773445798

How Drones Help Smuggle Drugs Into Prison

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/how-drones-help-smuggle-drugs-into-prison

Edited by NickAu1, 04 June 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

Aside from the hardware falling from the skies (anyone for some skeet shooting?) too many are jumping up and down about the privacy thing.   What kind of privacy do you expect in public.  Walk out your front door, anything you do is not private, no one is violating your privacy because you have none.  PERIOD.  Don't like all the pole mounted cameras, run by state local and every private business has one these days?  That's too bad because they are everywhere you look and many more you don't see.  As far as the drones delivering whatever to prisons, sounds like more target practice.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

(anyone for some skeet shooting?)

Wheres my 12 shot gun

Walk out your front door, anything you do is not private,

Well now anything you do in your home may not be private also, even if you live in a hi-rise building, With a infrared camera fitted these things could hover outside your window and you wouldn't know.

Edited by NickAu1, 04 June 2014 - 10:20 PM.

#6 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

Another fantastic techno toy for the Facebook/Instagram generation. Wow! 'Selfies' will take on a whole new dimension!  

#7 Plug 1

Plug 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:38 AM

Thank you everyone for your responses (and views on the matter).  I actually saw something Sunday morning that startled me;

I was enjoying a nice little leisurely walk around 10:20-10:30am, when I strolled past a church in my area. 

This church is roughly the size of a standard stand alone supermarket, with a spacious parking lot to match 

(FYI, I am not affiliated with this church in any way).  It caught my attention because at this time of morning,

their lot was 3/4 full with traffic streaming in constantly.  In order to facilitate a smooth flow, they had a team

of parking lot attendants helping people park in an orderly fashion.  Nothing too unusual. 

That's when I spotted it.  I happened to look up an saw the exact same drone from the video above quietly

hovering over the property, silently keeping an eye on things.  It must have been about 80 feet up, didn't

make a sound, and seemed to be a part of their security personnel.  A literal eye in the sky.  What really

amazed me was how clandestine and utterly invisible it seemed to be.  In fact, I have no idea why a church

would need a drone, but it seems to serve a useful role for them.  Imagine that?

Which brings me to my point.  These days are merely the opening innings in UAVs(Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) becoming part and parcel of our daily lives.  From what I know of them, their applications to modern life are practically infinite - it seems likely that civilian drone use is limited only by the imaginations of the persons or groups that possess them.  Look up from time-to-time...you just might be surprised.  I know I was. 

#8 Plug 1

Plug 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:41 AM

For your consideration, another video on the subject.

http://youtu.be/kwkxx84wXNo

Edited by Plug 1, 09 June 2014 - 12:44 AM.

#9 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

Thanks Plug 1 for all the fascinating information.

Since drones have been created by humans, not aliens, no need for tin foil hats. However, Chris Cosgrove has a point about tin helmets. As more people start flying drones all over the place they will become a safety issue. Otherwise, together with 3D printers, I reckon we are in for an awesome future.

I don't dare to contemplate the dark side of potential uses for all of this technology. Rather, the creative benefits are obvious and I can see little camera drones becoming very popular - ie: everyone will have one together with their smartiphone thingys etc... :)   

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

Flying RoboCop is a “riot control” octocopter with guns and lasers

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/06/flying-robocop-is-a-riot-control-octocopter-with-guns-and-lasers/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users