Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Huge problem all of a sudden!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 TwoPluzTwo

TwoPluzTwo

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

Hey...first post so don't bite my head off if I forget to put in some information.

So on Friday my entire computer crashed. It was just a black screen with blue lines going vertical down it. I couldn't do anything at all except hit the power button.

I have been busy all weekend and havn't touched it since then, but today I got on and it was fine. It asked me to go into safe mode on startup but I just started it normally and I was able to play it fine for a few hours. I was just on youtube and emails and stuff....

Then I went and started up Dark Souls 2 ( it crashed the first time during Dark Souls 2 as well ) and the first thing I noticed was that the mouse kinda.....broke? it turned into lines...

Then my screen went black....and I could still hear the Dark Souls 2 music but I couldn't do anything at all. So I was forced to turn it off by the power button. ( Which is a bit like putting a pillow over someones face. )

I started it up again and ran it as normal, I got to the login screen and typed in my password, hit enter and BOOM, black screen, blue lines....I repeated this a couple times....so now I am here in Safemode with networking....asking for help.

I havn't really got much experience with computers so please explain things like you are talking to a child or an old person.

My specs are:

Motherboard - Gigabyte 970A-D3
CPU - AMD FX-6100 Six-Core
RAM - 8GB
Graphics Card - AMD Radeon HD 6870
PSU - NeoECO 620c

It's a custom computer that I have only had for a year.

I tried System Restore back to Thursday.....but it still crashes at login...=(

I have gone into device manager and all my drivers are up to date.
That is all I know of how to check, so if you need more information please let me know....as well as letting me know how to get that information.

Please help....This is making me a sad Panda. =(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TwoPluzTwo

TwoPluzTwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

So...I've been messing around with it.....When I uninstall my display drivers from device manager and restart, I can get past the loading screen, but my computer automatically re-installs the display driver and prompts me to restart.

It works fine....although I noticed that it freezes randomly for 10 seconds at a time. But It's like being in safe mode, the resolution is tiny and I cant do much anyway.

I REALLY NEED HELP, I HAVE STUFF DUE SOON AND CAN'T DO ANYTHING IN SAFE MODE. =( =( =( =( =(

#3 TwoPluzTwo

TwoPluzTwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:47 PM

I am currently using a friends graphics card temporarily....and it is working just fine....So does that mean i need a new graphics card?

I got past the login screen which is good. I am not in safe mode at the moment and am still able to watch youtube videos and stuff.....But I was able to do the same thing with my other graphics card in safe mode...I am so confused. =(

And I can't keep his graphics card obviously...hes just brought it over for me to try.

I still need help....I would REALLY rather not buy anything new right now....

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:11 AM

First Post

So on Friday my entire computer crashed. It was just a black screen with blue lines going vertical down it. I couldn't do anything at all except hit the power button.
I started it up again and ran it as normal, I got to the login screen and typed in my password, hit enter and BOOM, black screen, blue lines....I repeated this a couple times....so now I am here in Safemode with networking....asking for help.

Last Post

I am currently using a friends graphics card temporarily....and it is working just fine....So does that mean i need a new graphics card?
I got past the login screen which is good. I am not in safe mode at the moment and am still able to watch youtube videos and stuff.....But I was able to do the same thing with my other graphics card in safe mode...I am so confused. =(
And I can't keep his graphics card obviously...hes just brought it over for me to try.

From your first post, and to your last post, you only changed one thing ???

If this is correct then you have diagnosed your own problem it would seem. What do you think ??

(Graphics Card - AMD Radeon HD 6870)<< These or a very similar card should be very common to pick up. I am just checking for them, and will post back in 5 minutes -

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:31 AM

Newegg and Amazon are both "OUT OF STOCK", so you may need to hunt around -

Average cost for the AMD Radeon HD 6870 seems to be around $220 to $250 in most listings.

There may be one of our Hardware people that can offer a similar card, but that is currently not my area of interest -

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:35 AM

No warranty ?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#7 TwoPluzTwo

TwoPluzTwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:37 AM

Newegg and Amazon are both "OUT OF STOCK", so you may need to hunt around -

Average cost for the AMD Radeon HD 6870 seems to be around $220 to $250 in most listings.

There may be one of our Hardware people that can offer a similar card, but that is currently not my area of interest -

There can't be anything wrong with my card though....because it works fine in safe mode....and it also works fine if I uninstall display drivers.....there must be something wrong with the drivers for my card.....How do I fix it. =(

#8 TwoPluzTwo

TwoPluzTwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:38 AM

No warranty ?

I got 12 months warranty...it's been about 14 now. =(

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:47 AM

Same type of card?

Have you tried Running the pc from the onboard video? the vga port on the back of your pc?

Plug your monitor in that, ( if you can) remove the video card then uninstall the drivers. reboot, etc?

1675b3a.jpg

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#10 TwoPluzTwo

TwoPluzTwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:53 AM

Same type of card?

Have you tried Running the pc from the onboard video? the vga port on the back of your pc?

Plug your monitor in that, ( if you can) remove the video card then uninstall the drivers. reboot, etc?

1675b3a.jpg

Also my friends gpu is a nvidia 620 something.....so it's completely different.

My motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics, also I can't unplug my gpu because my monitor is plugged into the back of it....and if I unplug it I won't be able to see if it works anyway. =((((

I am currently sitting in normal mode though....with my GPU that is......but I uninstalled my display driver to get here...scared to install a new one incase is doesn't work and crashes again.... =((((((((((((((

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:56 AM

My motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics, also I can't unplug my gpu because my monitor is plugged into the back of it....and if I unplug it I won't be able to see if it works anyway. =((((

Ok. Silly question here but have you tried using your friends video card so you can boot your pc and uninstall the drivers to your video card?

Arch Linux .

#12 TwoPluzTwo

TwoPluzTwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:05 AM

Ok. Silly question here but have you tried using your friends video card so you can boot your pc and uninstall the drivers to your video card?

I hate this......I've been scouring the internet for literally the entire day.....doing anything and everything people say....and nothing has changed...except now I can log in and I get to the desktop for 1 minute before it crashes...I've uninstalled and reinstalled almost all the different versions of my drivers....i've done startup repair from the disc and nothing has happened....I've done some funky regedit thing...I give up....My friend had to go home so I can't finish the work that Is due.....I'm at the point where I would sell my soul ( if they existed ) just for it to work for an hour so I can get my work done....bleep this.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

Yes I know it can be frustrating, Problem is we need to eliminate all the things that could be causing this issue.

Edited by NickAu1, 03 June 2014 - 11:54 PM.

Arch Linux .

#14 TwoPluzTwo

TwoPluzTwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:01 AM

Yes I know it can be frustrating, Problem is we need to eliminate all the things that could be causing this issue.

.....How? At the moment I can get it to work fine at the safe mode resolution in normal (640 x 480) but anything above that and it crashes...

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:34 AM

How long of a warranty does your card have? Usually most comes with 2 years, some 3, that what mine in my sig below has (MSI R7770-PMD1GD5), 1GB GDDR5, overclocked out of the box, WEI score of 7.5 on both graphic listings.

If it's covered, you should request a RMA, provided you have the receipt (an email copy is OK). Did you recently upgrade the drivers, there was an AMD update 2-3 months back.

My suggestion is to go with a RMA if under warranty. If as NickAu1 asked, there's a card that you could borrow, just long enough to see it works, that should rule out other issues. Provided the card had enogh power. After checking out the brand & price of your PSU, it looks to be a stout model.

And if you need to get another, do you need a 2GB model? Here's one at a decent price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users