Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden Overheating

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bad-People

Bad-People

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

For the few years I've had it my laptop has very rarely engaged its fan(Maybe 10 seconds each hour) but about two days ago It started blowing about half the time it's on and overheated yesterday. Now I can understand that fan clogging can make it hard for a computer to cool itself but I'm more concerned about the fact that it's only suddenly getting hot in the first place.

Toshiba Satellite L305

Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 2.16GHz 2.17GHz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Have you blown compressed gas through the air intake vents?  You usually need to do that every 6 months or so to blow out the accumulated dust.  You can buy the compressed gas cans at any store that sells computers or office supplies.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Bad-People

Bad-People
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

It hardly ever used the fan before. It would barley get warm, but now it's getting so hot all of a sudden that the fan can't help it. 

#4 Bad-People

Bad-People
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:35 PM

Related question: Will changing Power Modes affect temperature?

#5 Bad-People

Bad-People
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:45 AM

Okay. I blew into the intake a few times and poked the fan fins with a toothpick and it started spinning again. It dropped like 30°C well withing 5 minutes and the core is now at 43°C so I guess that was the problem. But my above question about the power settings still stands. 

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

Related question: Will changing Power Modes affect temperature?

Yes, performance mode often prevents the cpu from clocking itself down during idle or near idle situations. Generally with laptops you are better using balanced mode.

With higher clock speeds the computer requires higher voltages which means more heat even if you are not using the computer to do tasks. Balanced mode should help minimize heat prodution especially at idle or low cpu usage tasks.

Also as posted above, laptops can get dusty quickly. I dust my compuers out quarterly but I am in a dusty situation. Most people could probably get by dusting out 2 times a year.

There are some virus's going around that will use the cpu or gpu for intense tasks such as online currency mining. You could do a scan with TDSS killer for any sign of rootkits.

Edited by zingo156, 04 June 2014 - 12:23 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users