Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

5 month old laptop. Suddenly Broken. Help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 courtneypaige456

courtneypaige456

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

Help! I just recently bought a computer about 5 months ago. It is an Acer Aspire v5-572g-6679. So a couple nights ago I was playing an online game and I needed to go to bed so I shut my laptop screen like I normally do, putting it asleep, but this time being impatient putting the computer to sleep with the game closing because I didn’t want to wait for the game to shut down. The next morning I wanted to get on my laptop to get on the internet to look something up, so I opened my laptop and turned it on. My computer was taking an unusually long time to boot up, I automatically assumed it was the game that didn’t close down the previous night so I turned the computer off using the button ( I know this is bad for the laptop ). The next time I turned it on, I let it do its thing, by the way the computer normally takes less than a minute to boot up, so I was concerned at this point. I waited a good 10-15 waiting for it to get past the Acer splash screen and go to the login screen. Then once past splash screen it would take another 5-15 min. trying to load login screen, then once on login screen and I would type in password it didn’t want to login and I had to wait another 5-15 min. for it to go to desktop, then it would load desktop, but it was too slow to barely do anything. Well you get the point, I waited a lot : (

I automatically assumed it was a virus/malware and did get the computer to log on to desktop so I could perform scans. I followed the online guide from http://malwaretips.com/blogs/malware-removal-guide-for-windows/ , but only got to complete step 1 & 2 because the computer was so slow I would have to wait a month for malware bytes to finish 1 scan. I found nothing from both step 1 & 2, does that rule out it being a virus???

Because I just bought the laptop I believe I still have the 1 year warranty that everyone gets from Acer, at least I hope. I bought the laptop from Amazon, is there anything they will help me with, give me a replacement? I have heard bad things about Acer and sending computers in for repair, should I do that??

I seriously don’t know what happened overnight for this to happen; this is a brand new laptop that acted perfectly fine the night before. I don’t know what to do….I hope someone can give me a suggestion on what is happening or just simply what to do to diagnose the problem, please I am so lost!

If you need any more information about the laptop please tell me.

I am not sure if this has something to do with what is currently happening with my laptop, but I will tell you anyways, in case someone can link this with my current problem. So about a couple months into owning my laptop, my computer gave me memory problems (RAM), I would be playing a game or just browsing the internet and a little box would pop up saying I had low memory and I needed to close programs, then I would shut off my computer and just turn it back on and it would be working fine again, so I ignored the problem until this new problem happened D:

This is a Windows 8 laptop. 
Processor: 1.8 GHz Core i5 3337U
RAM: 6 GB DDR3
Hard Drive: 500 GB SATA
Graphics Coprocessor: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 720M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

Two things come to mind.  First you could have corrupt system files.  For that run SFC.  in the Search box type CMD, then right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator.  Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.  This will scan your system files and attempt to recover any that are damaged.  Next it's possible you could have developed a bad sector or two on your hard drive.  That's not so common on a 5 month old hard drive, but it does happen sometimes and can cause performance problems.  For that I'd run chkdsk on the C: drive and let it check for and attempt recovery of any bad sectors.  This can run for a few hours depending on the size of your drive, and usually requires a reboot, so do it when you can let it run for a while.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

Because of this statement: "I waited a good 10-15 waiting for it to get past the Acer splash screen"

I believe you may have a hardware level issue. Common causes of slow post is a bad hard drive which would also explain slow load times for windows etc. Chkdks may report problems. Any bad piece of hardware may cause slow post detection of hardware.

Please download and run speccy which may indicate hard drive smart problems:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 courtneypaige456

courtneypaige456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:10 AM

Sadly it is hard to do anything on the laptop...it barely loads the desktop program shortcuts without freezing up. If I can get the computer to work, I will try everyone's suggestions. Thank you for the suggestions btw. Hopefully I can do something, I have never had problems with a new computer like this, I am assuming if it is the hard drive it is just cheap parts...looks like I am not buying an Acer computer ever again in the future. This is pathetic. This is my first Acer, all I have had in the past is HP, Toshiba, and Apple computers. 

I have tried this suggestion " First you could have corrupt system files.  For that run SFC.  in the Search box type CMD, then right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator.  Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.  This will scan your system files and attempt to recover any that are damaged". I had that running the whole day from the time I woke up to like 3 am in the morning and it only got to 58% of the verification phase so I gave up. I wanted to attempt a Windows 8 refresh but that failed completely and my computer wouldn't let me, for whatever reason. So then I tried to do a reset and because I installed windows 8.1 it will not let me accomplish that task at all because I need the installation media. Despite the failure of those things I was able to backup all of my files/ pictures to skydrive. Maybe because of those failed attempts to reset and refresh now my computer is giving me new problems. It now sometimes does a blue screen with a frown face ( I am guessing this is the equivalent to the blue screen of death ). The two errors on that are "bad system config info" and "critical process died". The "critical process died" error has only came up once; the "bad system config info" is reoccurring. Another thing the computer likes to do now after that wonderful blue screen is the computer tries to restart then goes to a black screen with a little box saying "No bootable device found". Once I turn it off and back on it sometimes has no problem booting up just takes FOREVER but then sometimes the blue screen shows up again. I am not sure if this recent development was caused by my attempts to reset or refresh the computer. Anyways, I have been trying to work on this computer for 4 days now and I am getting very frustrated. Sorry for such a long description, I just want to be as thorough as possible.

My last computer stopped recognizing the hard drive and it would occasionally show the blue screen of death, but then occasionally let me get to the desktop, is that what is happening to this computer?!?! I seriously wish Acer would just give me a whole new laptop this is BS in my opinion, I do not think a hard drive should be failing in such a short period of time, if that is the case. This computer had mostly all positive reviews, did I just get a lemon, ughhh. Sorry for the rant lol, but just really feel like chucking this laptop against the wall to be honest.

I hope maybe my new description could help people in determining more ideas for what is wrong. 

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:19 AM

5 month old laptop. Suddenly Broken. Help!

am assuming if it is the hard drive it is just cheap parts.

In 1 word Warranty.

You are covered by 2.

1 From Acer

2 Maker of the HDD.

Both will have a 1 year warranty if Acer wont help go to whoever made the HDD. One of the 2 will fix/replace it.

Edited by NickAu1, 05 June 2014 - 03:21 AM.

#6 courtneypaige456

courtneypaige456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:39 AM

..so literally just after I posted the message about I got a message on my computer saying "Microsoft Windows has detected a hard disk problem" telling me to backup my files. Which I already backed up to onedrive / skydrive hopefully that doesn't malfunction too. So now what do I do...Should I send the computer to Acer, I am so afraid of doing that because of people's horror stories on Acer and how bad they are. I still haven't registered my computer for the limited warranty is that still possible? Also, would Acer replace my stupid faulty hard drive for free???? Is there any precautionary steps before sending it to Acer that anyone recommends. 

I am seriously regretting purchasing this laptop D:

Sorry Nick didn't see your comment until after posting this.

Edited by courtneypaige456, 05 June 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

Acer doesn't make the hard drive, hard drives fail, they are spinning moving parts. I have seen a 4 inch fall destroy a spindle drive. If the computer took a fall or gets moved around a lot while on and running and takes a few bumps, the head can slam into the platter spinning at over 5000 rpms, this leaves a nice scratch on the platter and takes data with it at minimum, sometimes the head itself can be damaged which generally causes a complete failure.

I haven't dealt with Acers warranty process, but you can go online to Acer's website and use their "chat" page to chat with someone: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/chat/pre_chat_launch

By the way, Toshiba has the worst record with hard drive failures in the retail world... On average I saw Toshiba drives last about 8 months. Some did last longer but that drive is 1 in a 1000.

Western Digital or Seagate are the only drives I trust at the consumer level. The worst by far with spindle drives from my experience are Toshiba and samsung, samsung makes a very nice solid state drive though!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 courtneypaige456

courtneypaige456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

I believe the failure might have been caused by the games I have been playing and the computer getting verrry hot. Hard drives are sensitive to heat and I feel that didn't help. I understand that Acer doesn't make the hard drives, but they did build the computer with a certain part that can be cheap or faulty. This computer has also had memory problems (RAM), a little box will pop up on the screen when I only have an internet browser and tell me there is low memory and I need to close problems, what is this caused by and how do you fix this ?? Also Acer is lacking in their customer service horribly, hopefully when I send my computer in they can change my mind and prove me wrong. I have heard that a lot of people get their laptop sent back in pieces and it comes back in worst condition. I will be taking pictures of my laptop so I have proof through photos that it was in perfect condition on the outside before I sent it. 

I don't think I will be buying a laptop in the future from any company besides apple, most likely I am just going to build my own desktop. 

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

This computer has also had memory problems (RAM), a little box will pop up on the screen when I only have an internet browser and tell me there is low memory and I need to close problems, what is this caused by and how do you fix this ??

If there was an issue with ram, you would likely be getting the blue screen of death (BSOD) or experience random crashes etc. Generally when memory is low it refers to either the hard drive running out of space or ram/pagefile being full. It could be a software issue or it could be virus related.

Heat certainly will shorten the life of components. I generally do not recommend gaming on a laptop, even the high end alienware computers tend to have problems with over heating or short life spans on video chipsets. I saw more high end gaming laptops with failed video chipsets than general use low end machines. Though HP had a bad batch of laptops DV series, G series and Compaq Q series with video chipset problems. It is important to keep laptops dusted out frequently to allow good airflow for cooling.

I have not dealt with Acer support so I don't have any info there. I have been pretty happy with Dell over all though. I recommend them due to their customer service.

#10 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

Take the hard drive out and put it in a desktop, image the broken HDD onto a new HDD/SSD (preferably SSD) and you're good to go. Then you can send the broken HDD into the mfg with no downtime on your laptop.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

When ever my laptop is on it sits on a cooling pad.

This one. It has a metal mesh over the fan and that stops a lot of dust being blown in, Covering the metal mesh with an old bit of stocking works great too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Notebook-Laptop-Cooling-Pad-Cooler-Fan-Stand-w-USB-Hub-/310870785607?pt=AU_Laptop_Accessories&hash=item486157be47

The worst thing you can do to a laptop is take it to bed and sit it on a blanket or as I keep telling my daughter get the laptop off the carpet

Edited by NickAu1, 05 June 2014 - 08:58 PM.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:15 AM

+1 @NickAu1 for the bed problem... Most laptops still pull air in from the bottom, they are called laptops but blocking the intake when sitting on your lap can cause problems too. Good thing a lot of the newer designs are going with side or back intake rather than bottom.

+1 @courtneypaige456 for planning on building your own gaming rig, desktops are miles above laptops for gaming. I saw a $6400 dollar alienware laptop that had dual 780m gpus and a core i7 6 core cpu, building your own desktop would cost about half that or possibly less and you would destroy the laptop performance wise. Desktops are more reliable if you have correct cooling. Laptops struggle to move enough air in the small cases they have to keep cool with demanding hardware.

Edited by zingo156, 06 June 2014 - 07:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users