Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flickering power button on printer, won't turn off, won't print

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Izzye

Izzye

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

I have a Dell 725 printer and I'm using Windows XP and the other day I accidentally put a stack of VHSs on the power button of my printer, I didn't even notice until a few hours later when I tried to turn the printer off when it failed to print and discovered the button which usually lights up yellow when on was flickering, at about the rate of a flourescent lightbulb that's about to give up. It won't turn off, the only way I can power down the printer is to pull out the power but it won't print either; I get the "computer can't connect with printer" box pop up but there's about a 30 second pause between an object going into the print queue and it telling me this which didn't happen before if the printer was off. 

Has anyone got any idea how to fix this? I don't really have time to start dismantling the printer (I'm swamped with coursework for uni) and I rather need it. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

Sounds like you have damaged/broken the power button.  From this Dell thread this may be power related and the only one that was able to resolve the issue did it by replacing the printer.

#3 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

Sounds like you have damaged/broken the power button.  From this Dell thread this may be power related and the only one that was able to resolve the issue did it by replacing the printer.

Well that's horrifically irritating, I've got 3 boxes of ink for it too. Oh well, thanks.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

The problem these days is that low end printers are pretty much a throw away item.  You might want to just pick up another one to recover your ink investment.  I'm figuring you're not in the US, but you should be able to find one at a decent price.

#5 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

The problem these days is that low end printers are pretty much a throw away item.  You might want to just pick up another one to recover your ink investment.  I'm figuring you're not in the US, but you should be able to find one at a decent price.

A new printer is going to cost at least £30 and unfortunately I don't have any spare money. I suppose I shouldn't have expected it to last for long, I got it from my neighbour for free with a computer he gave us to see if we wanted anything from it before it went to the tip. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users