Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSoD once a day, everything works fine after that

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Aafyre

Aafyre

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

Hey everyone, first time posting here.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been getting a BSOD once a day. These generally occur when I haven't touched the computer for a few minutes (even when I'm not running any programs). When I see it happen, it's always been a blue screen. When I'm away as it happens, I return to see nothing displayed on the monitor, with no way to wake my computer up, and it is very loud. In either case, I power the machine down and wait a few minutes. When I turn it back on, it works fine for the rest of the day.

Aside from this once-a-day BSOD, I've noticed that a few other actions always crash my computer. Those are running a scheduled disc check on startup and booting in safe mode with networking.

I've tried many suggestions I've seen online, but I can't get this problem to go away. The closest I've come was disabling two options in Chrome's settings ("Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" and "Use hardware acceleration when available"). This seemed to fix things for a few days, but then I started getting the once-a-day BSOD again.

I believe I have ruled out malware as a potential cause. Malwarebytes and AVG find nothing, and I ran TDSSKiller and it seemed to fix the problems it found.

I downloaded WhoCrashed to help me analyze my crash dump data, as I can't really make sense of it, and it looks like each crash is basically caused by something different, which is quite worrisome. These errors include:
CRITICAL OBJECT TERMINATION
SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED M
PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA
KERNAL DATA INPAGE ERROR
BAD POOL HEADER

My PC is only a few years old, but it's always been really loud when performing certain tasks, like playing games or watching some videos online. I don't know if that's relevant to this issue. I'm not sure what I can try next. I was thinking about taking it to Best Buy and having them look at it, but I don't know if that would help. If anybody here could provide assistance, I would be most grateful.

I am using Windows 7, and these are some of my specs:
Model: Studio XPS 8100 (Dell)
Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93 GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit OS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

Copy and paste everything in the who crashed report and paste it here. We may be able to determine the cause if we have the 0xxxxxx codes.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Aafyre

Aafyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

Okay, this is exactly what WhoCrashed tells me:

System Information (local)

computer name: OWNER-PC
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: Studio XPS 8100, Dell Inc., 0G3HR7
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 8547024896 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1926189056

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 6/2/2014 4:03:07 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\060214-50357-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFA800AEBAB70, 0xFFFFFA800AEBAD50, 0x41EF445)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 6/2/2014 4:03:07 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fileinfo.sys (fileinfo+0x24A5)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFA800AEBAB70, 0xFFFFFA800AEBAD50, 0x41EF445)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fileinfo.sys
description: FileInfo Filter Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 6/1/2014 4:03:58 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\060114-47970-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA800C00E060, 0xFFFFFA800C00E340, 0xFFFFF80003595270)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 5/29/2014 4:05:46 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052914-51027-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: iastor.sys (iaStor+0x2D5F3)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF880012415F3, 0xFFFFF880039107F8, 0xFFFFF88003910050)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\iastor.sys
product: Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver
company: Intel Corporation
description: Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver - x64
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: iastor.sys (Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver - x64, Intel Corporation).
Google query: Intel Corporation SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Wed 5/28/2014 4:03:07 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052814-46488-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x14F350)
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFF6FC4000AAC8, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009D, 0x19A58E860, 0xFFFFF88001559350)
Error: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 5/27/2014 4:28:17 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052714-37081-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF8E0009B29BC, 0x1, 0xFFFFF800031F62F2, 0x5)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Mon 5/26/2014 6:33:22 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052614-40934-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF800000003A0, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80003074AFA, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

On Sun 5/25/2014 4:54:15 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052514-31808-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF880010685F3, 0xFFFFF880039107F8, 0xFFFFF88003910050)
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: iastor.sys (Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver - x64, Intel Corporation).

On Sat 5/24/2014 6:39:51 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052414-35786-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8800102F5F3, 0xFFFFF880039107F8, 0xFFFFF88003910050)

On Fri 5/23/2014 4:43:50 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052314-37705-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA800B42FB30, 0xFFFFFA800B42FE10, 0xFFFFF8000338D270)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.

Conclusion

11 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 10 are included in this report. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

iastor.sys (Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver - x64, Intel Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

You can probably disregard the 11th crash not included in the report, as that was from 2 or 3 years ago,and I doubt it has anything to do with my current issue.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

There are lots of bsod codes there, first update all drivers that you can from your computer manufacturers website... Or mainboard website.

Next I highly recommend running diagnostics on ram and your hard drive. Download and run memtest86 here: Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip) Burn this file directly to a disc and then boot to the disc. You may have to disable secure boot and enable legacy mode if you are running windows 8.

I use MHDD for my hard drive tests which I will post below. The instructions are a bit long but it is quite easy. As with memtest, you will need to disable secure boot and enable legacy mode as well as change the sata operation to IDE, compatibility or ATA.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

Here are the instructions for MHDD hard drive surface scan:

If a hard drive has a smart status warning or the drive is questionable this test may be of use NOTE this test does not work with AHCI or Raid sata operation. It must be done with IDE, ATA, or compatibility mode:

Before running this test it would be a good idea to backup any data that you cannot afford to lose. This test uses the hard drive at 100%. If the drive is failing or has problems it is possible for the drive to fail suddenly especially during heavy use as this test will do. It is unlikely but still I recommend backing files up to be safe. Here are the instructions to run the test:

The first step will be to burn MHDD to a disc as an image (cd preferably). MHDD Can be found here: http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/  Click the Last version of MHDD, CDROM iso-image download and burn this file directly to a disc.

TO CHANGE SATA OPERATION: (You may need to use your keyboard arrow keys and enter key if you can not click to change settings).

After burning the disc, restart the laptop and start tapping f2 or f1 or delete right away to get into the bios. There you should see System Configuration, expand that by clicking the + button (or using your arrow keys and enter key). In that list there should be something called Sata operation. (Sata Operation may also be by itself in that first screen list)

Click on sata operation and take note of the current setting to the right it will probably be set to AHCI it will need to be switched back to this after MHDD is done running. Select ATA, compatibility or ide mode and then click apply. Save and exit the bios, or if apply was the only option you can use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.

COMMON BOOT MENU/BIOS keys: https://support.fixmestick.com/hc/en-us/articles/201577043-How-to-get-to-your-Boot-Menu-or-your-BIOS-settings

Now with the burned disc in the drive after a restart, start tapping (F12 Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo), (F9 HP), or (Esc HP, Samsung, Sony) on the keyboard (or change your boot options to boot to cd/dvd first). This will bring up the boot options menu. Select cd/dvd/cd-rw drive and hit enter.

If this worked correctly and booted to mhdd you should see a screen that says Microsoft windows 98 startup menu. You can let the timer run out or just hit enter on option (2 . Start computer without SCSI support).

Now you should see a screen with numbers, most of these will not have any device listed behind them but one number should for example on my dell computer number 6 has WDC WD1600BEVT-75A23T0… and at the end a number in white which is the size of the drive.

Example: If your drive is a 500gb I would expect that number in white to be somewhere around 500,107,862,016 or close to. Find the correct drive to test then on the keyboard type the number in front of the drive (in my case it was 6) and then hit enter.

Now you should have a screen with MHDD> and a blinking cursor.

Now hit F4 on the keyboard 2 times and this will start scanning the hard drive.

You should be able to see the computer start scanning, each block represents 255 sectors (130560 bytes) on the hard drive. What we are looking for will show up on the right side of the screen.

There is a list on the right which shows numbers:

<3

<10

<50

<150ms

Etc…

Anything below the <150ms is a slow sector or a problem sector. Slow sectors <500 or >500 will slow down the computer. If there are a lot of these one after another (several 1000 or more) the drive should probably be replaced. Also if you have any at the end that were marked as UNC this means the drive has uncorrectable errors and the hard drive should probably be replaced.

Basically if you have any sectors that are below <150 (green) let me know and if possible the total number of them.

If all of the sectors were ok and fell within the range of:

<3

<10

<50

<150ms

Then the hard drive is ok, if there are only a few that are slow <500 or >500 the hard drive should be ok to use.

NOTE: that if there are many slow sectors one after another or you start having error after error the drive is in bad shape and I recommend ending the test. To end the test hit the Esc key.

After you are done testing you will need to go back into the bios by restarting the computer and tapping F2, F1, Delete (or whatever key gets you into bios). Go back to Sata Operation and change it back to the default which probably was AHCI.

Then restart and the computer should boot again.

(If you are getting a blue screen and the computer restarts go back into the bios and confirm that Sata Operation is set to what it was before changing it to IDE, ATA, or compatibility).

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

By the way, if it is running loud when gaming, it is likely that dust has built up in the intake or exhaust so the fan is running faster than needed. Dust out the computer... Heat can cause crashes.

#7 Aafyre

Aafyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

Alright, I got some chipset drivers from Dell's website. Then I tried memtest (though I used the iso version on a disc instead of the one you linked to). About a minute into the memtest scan, it crashed and my monitor went blank. About 15 seconds later, the computer started beeping, so I hit the power button to turn it off. Should I assume, then, that faulty ram is the issue? I haven't done MHDD yet, but I fear that will also result in a crash, like memcheck and Check Disk.

I might try just manually removing ram in different combinations to see if that fixes anything. Thank you so much for all of the help so far.

#8 Aafyre

Aafyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

Well I tried removing each stick of RAM one at a time (4 total) and running memtest without that piece in, but each time it crashed at about the same place. I'm not quite sure what to do at this point. I wouldn't think I would have more than 1 faulty pieces of RAM, but if I did, that would take a long time to test for.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

Have you dusted out the computer? Memtest will cause the temp to rise and possibly with a dusty computer cause an over heat situation and crash, dust out the computer as step 1 then retest... While you have the case open after dusting the computer out: Check for blown or bulging capacitors on the mainboard: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+or+bulging+capacitors&client=firefox-a&hs=B5U&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=LcKNU4v5OsWbqAb3xoCoDg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1272&bih=766

You may have 1 bad slot or 1 bad stick of ram, since you have 4 sticks, try 1 stick in the first slot and run the test. If it crashes, try another stick in the same slot. If it crashes again, move the stick to slot 2 and re-test.

You may have to test every slot with 1 stick of ram alone. If it is a bad stick causing the crash, the bad stick will cause the crash in every slot. If it is a bad slot, all sticks in that slot will cause a crash or errors etc.

If you can not get a test to run stable, Disconnect all devices that are not needed to perform a memtest such as hard drives, disc drives, pci/pci-e cards use onboard video instead of addin video cards if possible. Then re-test.

If you still can not run a memtest succsefully, you may have a cpu or mainboard problem. Check your temperatures in windows or bios to make sure it is not a simple overheating issue, sometimes heat syncs will losen up over time and not have a good connection with the cpu, you can take it off, clean it up and re-paste it.

HWmonitor is what I use to monitor temps in windows, it is nice because it will show the highest and lowest temps. Use this while performing a strenuous activity such as prime 95.

Edited by zingo156, 03 June 2014 - 09:19 AM.

#10 Aafyre

Aafyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

Last week I dusted it out as thoroughly as I could with a can of compressed air. I don't dust nearly as often as I should, so it looked like there was still a little bit of dust stuck on the boards. Before I commence the ram testing, I'll leave my computer on for a bit to see if I blue screen again (just to see if those two drivers solved my immediate issue). Thank you so far!

#11 Aafyre

Aafyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

Well it crashed again, so it wasn't the drivers. I opened up my PC and examined the capacitors; they all seemed to be in working order (though one of the smaller ones was a little bit crooked). I tried booting with just 1 ram (2 GB) inserted, but as soon as I hit the power button my computer started beeping and my monitor lost signal. What does this mean? It never even got to the point where I could hit F12 to boot to disc. I powered down and put each stick of ram back for now. Should I still try each stick in each slot, or do you think this will always happen when I only have 1 stick in?

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

It should post fine with just 1 stick. SInce it did not, either that stick is bad or the slot is bad. You should try with that same stick moved to the next slot alone. If it still gives you beeps, that stick is likely bad. Try both of those slots with a different stick.

#13 Aafyre

Aafyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

Okay, I tried 8 out of the possible 16 combinations, and nothing worked. Here are my results:

Slot    Stick    Success?    Description

A        A         No               Beeping

A        B         No               Beeping

B        A         No               Crash

B        B         No               Crash

B        C         No               Crash

B        D         No               Crash

C        B         No               Beeping

D        B         No               Crash

The beeping consisted of a two-beep sequence that repeated until I turned the computer off. The crashes occurred about a minute and a half into the memtest scan, which is a little bit farther than I get with all 4 sticks in, if that means anything.

It seems like it might be a waste of time to test the rest, as these results lead me to believe I'm dealing with more than just faulty ram. What are the odds that all 4 sticks and all 4 slots went bad at the same time?

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

Beep codes generally mean a hardware issue... Tough to say exactly what is causing this currently.

I forgot to ask if you have any over clocks??? On ram or on cpu? Have you tried resetting your cmos? There are multiple ways to do this but generally the easiest is to use F2 or F1 or Delete to go into bios and load the default values. Remove any over clocks you have and reset to default values then re-run memtest...

It is highly unlikely you have 4 bad sticks and 4 bad slots. It is possible that memtest has a compatibility issue, you could try the older version 4.20 Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

The other thing I would try is prime 95 in windows. The ram controller is integraged into your cpu, if prime 95 doesn't run, and the memtest continues to fail, I might suspect a cpu/ram controller issue. It is possible it is still related to the mainboard as well. If you don't have spare parts, it may be worth taking the machine to a local repair shop where they can swap the cpu into a new board and test that way.

There is always a possibility of a power/PSU issue as well. Computers require very precise voltages. In windows if you Run HWmonitor, you may be able to monitor the voltages if they are reported and see if any go out of spec which is generally 5% over or under. There are 3 rails to monitor, 3.3v, 5v, and 12v...

Edited by zingo156, 04 June 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#15 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

One big cause of intermittent and unrelated faults points to the CMOS battery.  The BIOS settings can become scrambled and this would sffect just about every hardware option.  Reset the BIOS and install a new battery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users