Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fax Machine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fitzy04

fitzy04

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

Hi everybody,

Simple problem but can't seem to find a solution. We have a few fax machines throughout the company here and one of them (I've tested a few but not all and the ones I've tested worked fine) will dial out to a number I specify to send a fax to but after a few seconds after dialing, it rings busy, no matter what number I put in. It's a print/copy/fax combo printer. I've tested various other things with the printer but the only thing that seems to be wrong is sending out a fax. I'd really like to avoid the phone line cable because it runs across the room (pretty small room) but then runs up into the ceiling. Any ideas or solutions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

How are you faxing without the phone line?  The two go together on an all in one, no phone line, no faxing.  There are other methods such as fax servers and such, but normally you're going to need a phone line to fax.

#3 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

What I'm saying is that there is a phone line but I want it to be a last resort to replace or tinker with it because it runs into the ceiling. But I do appreciate your reply. However, the issue is resolved. I don't know what happened but as I was researching, the user that uses that machine the most told me it was working again.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:56 PM

Okay, I thought you were trying to fax without the phone line.

#5 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:52 AM

Sorry for the misinterpretation lol. But thank you anyway!

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

That long and undetermined termination on the phone line could be what's causing the dial interupt.  Use a regular 6 foot cable to the closest phone jack and test it there to confirm.  Also, some in house phone switches (Centrex, Mitel and Seimens) need to have that line identified to allow proper operation.

Edited by mjd420nova, 03 June 2014 - 02:38 PM.

#7 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the reply mjd420nova. But the problem has been fixed. I don't know what happened, it just suddenly started working again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users