Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse snap to default

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pirahnya

Pirahnya

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

Running Windows 7 Pro. In Control Panel/Mouse Pointer Options, the "Automatically move pointer to the default button in a dialog box" is checked. At one time this worked, but now it has ceased altogether. Primarily used in Firefox 16 (and due to plug-in issues, I'm unwilling to upgrade). The registry setting is correct. I have tried turning it off, then back on again. No bueno. 

It's frustrating that the simplest of tasks worked just peachy in XP, but Windows 7 has a mind of it's own.

I've Googled this and done everything that has been posted. Everything but a solution. Drivers up to date.

I'd appreciate a solution. Please, please, please do not tell me to go to Ease Of Access Center. There is nothing in that module that has anything to do with this issue.

The Snap To Default works great on my laptop which is running Windows 7 Pro also.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pirahnya

Pirahnya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

I apologize. I've fixed it. I'm not going to be like a lot of other people who say they fixed it, but don't tell you why. I'm going to tell you why.

Turned out to be driver related. The driver that was installed was an HID compliant mouse. My mouse that I love so much is a Logitech M-BZ105A (now it's an M-400). I downloaded the Set-Point driver and now everything works just great!

So my advice is to get the drivers from the manufacturer for your mouse, not rely on Windows to do everything for you.

Why it worked before and quit, I have no idea. All I know is that it is working now.

#3 Pirahnya

Pirahnya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

AAAARRGGHH! Stupid frigginfrazzin... make it stop! Okay. It doesn't work. Apparently it's a bug in Firefox. Been a problem since 2004. You think they'd have fixed it by now. If I close Firefox and restart it, it will work one time, and that's it! Restart, works once, then no. This is highly reproducable. The snap to default button works fine in my other programs, repeatedly works fine.

Don't make me get rid of Firefox. Already had to dump Avast! Premium. Mozilla has absolutely no answer that is helpful.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

I hear you!  Congratulations on fixing it yourself.  In years past I had enough problems with mice, I decided to just buy MS mice and use the MS Intellimouse driver I can always download from microsoft.com.  I don't spend a lot of these, I think $20 is about as much as I've paid.  I know Logitech makes good ones, and I'm glad to know they supply good drivers these days so maybe I'll try one of them next time I need one.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

Firefox 16 falls into the same category as XP......well past its use by date.

However...i would imagine this to be a add on issue.

Restart FF with add ons disabled.

Does the snap to default work now?

If so...restart the add ons you have one by one until the 'snapto' ceases to work. The last started add on will be your culprit.

Attempt to either update that add on or find another one to take its place. Search Google for a replacement....more available there than on FF's add on search.

If not..Does the problem still remain if you open Internet Explorer?   .What plug ins cant you copy/do without/find similar etc in FF29.1...??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users