Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem accessing bios

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joseph21

joseph21

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

Hello everyone,

Just so you have a little bit of info on what is going on. My uncle has a co worker who purchased a gateway all in one zx4250g from a pawned shop. everything was fine, she was using the computer and her nieces was using it as well to play games. I am assuming one or the other might have turned off the computer incorrectly, since the boot file is now corrupt. She asked if I wold fix it for her which normally wouldn't be a problem. I have a windows 8 computer also and have already created a usb boot and repair for it. However, upon attempting to go into bios I found that it is password protected. I am assuming the previous owner might have password protected the bios. I have already tried the standard passwords such as password, admin, owner, cmos, administrator, etc. I have been doing some reading and found some articles speaking of getting the hash code and finding the password this way. Is there anyway of doing this? I know I could flash the bios, but I am still learning, so I did not want to attempt this yet. Is there anyway of getting the hash code, or a work around to gain access to the bios? I cannot boot via usb or disk right now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

well if your comfortable taking the computer apart you can take out the CMOS for about 10 min and that should reset the password. well atleast get rid of the password

#3 joseph21

joseph21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

well if your comfortable taking the computer apart you can take out the CMOS for about 10 min and that should reset the password. well atleast get rid of the password

Kaz,

I have attempted that. I have also looked for the jumpers. From what I have read, windows 7 and 8 now have UEFI which is saved like flash. I wish it would have been that easy would have saved me some time. I should have added that to my post. My apologies for leaving that out. I will tell you some of the things I have tried. I have read where it might have been possible to get a hash code by making 2 incorrect password attempts then pressing F2 or F12. I have tried shift and F10 to open command prompt. I have tried removing battery for 25 minutes. unsuccessfully looked for jumpers. would have used my flash card and disk, but cannot boot from either.

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

Never tried it personally but may be of some help

http://www.password-reset.com/bios_instructions.php

good luck

#5 joseph21

joseph21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

Old Rocker,

I would try this, but my only problem is that the boot files are corrupt and will  not boot up. 

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:28 AM

They don't make it easy to reset the bios. Your pc is that all in one computer and screen, but this youtube video will give an idea what some laptops have. It's just two small solder points sometimes marked/unmarked. Every machine will vary some may have to be jumped across the tpm or bios chip itself and they are usually tiny 6 pin chips. Since I can't find any information on how to do it specific to your model, but it would be something similar. It's pretty in depth and technical as you can see on the second video.

Toshiba laptop ---- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbXW6-PngZk

Dell C600 D600 D610 etc.------http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JqB4lkVxkA

Update: Word of caution, this can brick the computer. I would only do this as a last resort, since the machine cannot be repaired anyway without bios access. Furthermore the HD would probably need to be replace as well as the OS. The HD might be encrypted and cannot be formatted or recovered in any way. This is what the UEFI/TPM chips protection does in the event that the laptop is stolen or lost with critical secret information on it. The HD is locked and can only be decrypted once placed back inside the original laptop and the BIOS/Login password is entered in correctly.

The TPM microchip holds the crypto key to unlocking or decrypting the Hard Drive. Since the bios cannot be accessed the data on the drive remains encrypted in or out of the machine. It's quite effective security protection, but a pain for any troubleshooting recovery.

Edited by technonymous, 05 June 2014 - 12:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users