Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loading software into netbook.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikegparker

mikegparker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

Bought tv stick for netbook & the software was sent on cd (netbook has no cd drive)  loaded into laptop & tried to copy onto memory stick to transfer to netbook but came up 'write protected'. Requested download link from supplier but he could not supply.

Looked at websites offering the software but none seemed genuine.

If I bought a stand alone usb cd drive would the software load onto the netbooks hard disk?

Or would the write protection block it?

Has anyone any other suggestions?

Thanking you hopefully.

Mike.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kabo0m

Kabo0m

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

Bought tv stick for netbook & the software was sent on cd (netbook has no cd drive)  loaded into laptop & tried to copy onto memory stick to transfer to netbook but came up 'write protected'. Requested download link from supplier but he could not supply.

Looked at websites offering the software but none seemed genuine.

If I bought a stand alone usb cd drive would the software load onto the netbooks hard disk?

Or would the write protection block it?

Has anyone any other suggestions?

Thanking you hopefully.

Mike.

I have a netbook so I can answer this. Buy an EXTERNAL CD drive as they hook up through USB and work just as if you had a CD Rom in your netbook. It works in mine. I currently am using an external Toshiba slim USB 2.0 Portable DVD Super Multi Drive if that helps you have an idea of what to look for at all.

Edit: I am guessing copying that software to that flash drive memory stick did not work due to copyright protection on the CD itself. You do need the CD Rom.

Edited by kabo0m the spam, 03 June 2014 - 07:44 AM.

DESKTOP - Main Rig:   Passmark & Mobo  (Manual) &  my Speccy (Video card is Radeon 7770) & 4Gb DDR2 RAM
NETBOOK:   PC: Acer Aspire ONE (D250 10.1")    //   CPU: Intel® Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz   RAM: 2.0 GB  DDR2
Video Card: Intel® GMA 950 (256Mb)     OS:   Windows 7 Starter 32-bit SP1

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

Many flash drives come with a write protect switch.  Did you check to see if that's the case with yours?  I've had trouble copying DVDs due to copyrights, but never had a problem with CDs and I've copied a lot of software CDs to flash drives FWIW.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users