Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Frustration

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 girrl88

girrl88

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:02 PM

Long story short - we've been having trouble with our cable internet connection. It goes off & on, sometimes just for a little bit sometimes for several hours. The cable company finally came out and said that we had a "high signal" and that the signal was being amplified. They "fixed" it on Monday but we were still losing the connection fairly often so we made them come back out Wednesday. At that time they said that they'd have to run a new cable into the house so we have to wait until next Tuesday when someone who knows how to do that will be available.

Yesterday I noticed that when I plugged directly into the modem I could get online but when going through the router I couldn't. I tried to reinstall the router software but it said that the router couldn't connect. :thumbsup: I then called the router people (it's a Linksys) and the rep walked me through how to have the router clone the Mac IP address and then poof! Like magic I could get online through the router again.

When I came home from work today I found that I couldn't get online again. Fortunately I'd kept the info from yesterday - cloned the Mac IP address again - and could get online again.

The rep from the router company said that there's something going on that is resetting the router which is why I had to do the Mac IP cloning thing.

My question is - is this a problem with the router or is it truely a problem with the cable ISP?

Edited to add - I have had to do the Mac IP cloning thing 4 times today since 5:45pm when I first got online. It's only 8:45 now. *sigh*

Edited by girrl88, 25 May 2006 - 08:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:02 PM

well to me it sounds like a router thing. i am sure if you chatted to linksys they told you to check the bottom of your router and see what version it is.then to go here.... www.linksys.com to find out if you havre the latest firmware update. the wrt54g routers had a hard takeoff until they updated their firmware to 1.06. similar issues had occured with the old firmware. but, that may not be it. try these suggestions to troubleshoot.
1.like you already did, take the router outta the equasion to see if it lasts a day. this will be more indicative of either router or isp.
2.to hard reset your router, on the back, there is a small button (you need a pen or pin to push it) push the button and hold it. while holding it, unplug the power, and after 10 seconds, plug it back in, wait 30 seconds, then release the reset button
3.log into your router, check the "status" page, find out he mac address of the router, call your isp, tell them to add a new mac adderss to your account, and give them the router's mac address. this way you wont have to clone your pc's address. it seems like you eep losing your settngs, so this may be very beneficial.

lets us know how you made out
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:04 PM

i just read your edit, if the firmware update wont help your settings keep, then you may have a dying router. consider a new one, or try step 3 in my last response

#4 girrl88

girrl88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup: I do have a wrt54g router & I found an update for it at the Linksys site which I'm just about to download.

For whatever reason I haven't had anymore problems in the past few days :flowers: but I have printed out your advice in case things start acting up again.

Thanks again! :trumpet:

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:43 PM

I have worked on several LAN that connected via Cable. The #1 problem I have is that the coax being defective, or an improper grounding of the service. Squirrels chew on the plastic covering, causing the signal to degrade. To rule this out a service tech will have to come out and test the coax from the main service to the house\business, and from the outside connection to the modem connection. It takes very little degrading of the signal to disrupt service. It is more critical for VoIP (telephone of the internet).
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:56 PM

np, glad its working, the firmware will likely help immensly
dave

ps, does this site kick-butt or what?

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:23 AM

I have a wrt54g router also, it was always dropping out, I did the firmware update about a month ago and it works just fine,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users