Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unidentifiable pop-up and mysearchdial remains

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:41 AM

Hello!

For the past few weeks or so, I've had an annoying pop-up whenever I start my laptop. Problem is, the pop-up stays for half a second, then disappears - it's usually just blank and because it's gone so quickly I can't really do anything with it. When I turn off all start-up applications in msconfig, the pop-up seems to be gone as well, but I can't identify the source, which bothers me.

In this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/534159/bothersome-start-up-thing/#entry3367704 it was suggested that it could be caused by a serial number not matching my legitimate Sims games, yet the problem has only started since a few weeks and those games have been on my laptop for ages.

Another problem: every time I scan for malware using MBAM, I get MySearchDial in the results. All the symptoms are already gone (browser redirecting/apps etc. were removed a long time ago), I thought it was clean but now this keeps popping up in my scans despite removing it with MBAM every time. 

Moreover, my laptop has some other strange problems lately. I can't open MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit, I can't open 'Change bluetooth settings', and recently it randomly tried to open Mail (or a similar app, I didn't really pay too much attention to it) and it froze to a blue screen (with cursor) for about 10-15 seconds before trying to open something again. This may just be bad luck, of course, but combined with the other things it becomes a bit suspicious. 

Then last, I tried to run the DDS but it told me 'DDS is not meant to run in compatibility mode. It will now exit.'. I'm not trying to run it in compatibility mode? Either way, it's suspicious and annoying.

So, a summary of the symptoms that worry me:

- unidentifiable pop-up at startup 

- mysearchdial keeps popping up in MBAM scans (despite telling MBAM to delete it)

- some problems with opening programs (including DDS)

I really want to get rid of both the pop-up and the mysearchdial residue, so I hope someone can tell me how to tackle those problems (and hopefully the DDS thing as well, in case I need to move on to the removal forum). I'm not very tech savvy and all, so maybe I just did something stupid ;) 

I'm running Windows 8.1 (64bit) on my Asus laptop. 

Edited by MsImAQuickStudy, 02 June 2014 - 05:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

Hello DDS will not run on a Win 8 System.

Please repost here and state you are running Win8.

Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

Ah that explains that part at least! Will do!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

Yes it does... New topic is here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536379/unidentifiable-pop-up-and-mysearchdial-remains/#entry3384707

Now that your topic is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.
From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.
Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRL Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.
The current wait time is 1 - 5 days and ALL logs are answered.
If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.
To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users