Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another YAC victim

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Annxqz

Annxqz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:20 AM

I am another victim of YAC.  I have run your adwcleaner v3.21 and it found 3 files.  I told it to clean them.  Then it tells me to restart my computer which I do, but YAC is still there.

I am running winxp.  

I did a search and found 58 files with the name isafe.  I have tried to delete them and it tells me cannot read from the source file or disk.

I have run CCcleaner, Malawarebytes, super anitspyware and Avira and still YAC is on my computer.

Can you give me any advice what to do or try next?

Ann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:22 AM

The free Revo Uninstaller has had success in removing YAC. You may need to use the Advanced Mode to completely uninstall.

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

Revo will remove the isafe files, too. Normally, only MBAM is need to remove the isafe files. I'm thinking the files you

found in the search are quarantined by MBAM. You can verify that by looking in the logs for what MBAM removed.

Edited by buddy215, 02 June 2014 - 06:47 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:22 AM

Hello Ann -

Early this year I installed the YAC program from their site and the review can be seen HERE on this site.

It is not an infection, but you may have included it with another program you recently downloaded.

How to Uninstall YAC Software?

For users of Windows XP/Windows7/WindowsVista :

1.Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
2.Select YAC, and then click Uninstall.

For users of Windows 8:
1.On the start screen right-click any free space.
2.At the bottom of the screen select All apps.
3.On the Apps screen find and right-click YAC.
4.At the bottom of the screen click Uninstall.

Notes
If the program you want to uninstall isn't listed, it might not have been written for this version of Windows. To uninstall the program, check the information that came with the program.
Some programs include the option to change or repair the program in addition to uninstalling it, but many simply offer the option to uninstall. To change a program, click Change or Repair. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation

If you are still having problems, read these articles, or tell me what problem Y.A.C. is causing

1. Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel or Programs and Features if using Vista/Windows 7/8. From within Add/Remove Programs look for anything in the list above and select Remove.

2. Open your browser and disable (uncheck) all extensions. Make a list, then one by one, re-enable each extension to see if the pop-ups start appearing again with that particular extension. Once you identify the responsible extension...permanently remove it but let me know which one it was so I can update the above list.
* How to Disable Extensions in Google Chrome - How to Uninstall Extensions in Google Chrome
* How To Disable Individual Plug-ins in Google Chrome <- try only if the above does not work
* How to Disable Extensions and Plugins in Firefox - How to Remove Extensions/Uninstall Plugins in Firefox
* How to Disable Extensions in Internet Explorer
* How to Disable Add-ons/Extensions in Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome
* How to Disable all add-ons in Firefox, Internet Explorer

3. If the above did not resolve the problem, then create a new browser user profile.

* How to Create a new browser user profile in Google Chrome
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Firefox
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Opera, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome

#4 Annxqz

Annxqz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

I did use Revo to uninstall it and revo doesn't show Yet another cleaner or isafe is in my computer.  That is where I found it had added over 1500 listings in isafe that had to be deleted.  I did delete what malware had quarantined (thank you for that), but it didn't get rid of YAC.  I then started trying to individually delete each listing and found a listing for uninstall in there.  I uninstalled it using that and it looks like it is finally gone.  I never use add and remove programs to remove programs as they leave things behind sometimes, I always use revo.  Should I not do that? 

Ann

Edited by Annxqz, 02 June 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,607 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

I assumed you had already run the uninstaller. My thought is to run any uninstaller first and use Revo to finish the job.

Any other problem?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Annxqz

Annxqz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

I did run YAC's uninstaller.  But it left isafe and kept running it.  I never installed Isafe and when I found the list of isafe files I didn't read them.  But like I said as I was trying to delete them individually I found the uninstaller for ISAFE and ran it and that took care of my problem.

Also if I use the programs uninstaller won't Revo not have a listing for it?  So how would I remove any leftovers if Revo doesn't have a listing for it?  I thought I new a little bit, but I can always learn.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:18 PM

How to remove iSafe AntiVirus (Uninstall Instructions)

This is from BC uninstall D.I.Y history, and was written prior to YAC being released -

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,607 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

..........Also if I use the programs uninstaller won't Revo not have a listing for it?..........

Revo will still find leftovers and uninstall...even in the free version. To see what the Pro Version can do (30 day free trial)

see info in this link: Revo Uninstaller Features - Uninstall and Remove Programs, delete junk files

QUOTE: ..........Revo Uninstaller Pro has a very powerful feature called Forced Uninstall. This feature allows you to remove leftovers of programs that are already uninstalled, incomplete installations and uninstall remnants of programs! It does not matter if the program, you want to remove, is not listed in Revo Uninstaller Pro or in Windows Add/Remove Programs Control Panel applet.......

#9 Annxqz

Annxqz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

Thank you for all the information.  Again I have learned something new.  So glad for all the help.  I am curretly YAC free and will remain that way. :bounce:

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

>> Thank you for all the information << >> I am curretly YAC free <<

Hello -

Can you please tell us the methods that were used, or was it a combination of all ideas ??

This is just for any future problems that may pop up.......

#11 Annxqz

Annxqz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

I removed it using a combination of all of the above.  I originally used revo uninstaller to remove it (and this of course reverted to Yac's uninstaller to remove it.)  When it got to the next step it removed 1500 listings.  When I rebooted it was still in my computer but not under yac it was now under isafe.  Isafe was not listed as a program when I ran revo and of course it had removed all the yac entries.  I ran malaware bytes and it couldn't remove isafe.  Then in the listings I noticed one for uninstaller isafe and ran it.  It removed isafe and took care of the problem.  I appreciate all the help given me here and as I said I learned several things.  You guys are the best.  :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users