Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

device cannot start

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chukyx007

chukyx007

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:26 AM

HI I HAVE A usb to sata/ide adapter and it comes up as usb mass storage on my computer but comes up as device cannot start with a little yellow expetation next to it and im figuring i connected it all right from usb port on computer to adapter to hard drive...hmm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

Welcome,

That indication can be the result of a missing driver or several possibilities. Can you give us a bit more information? OS? Is this a new, happened now for the first time, or continuing problem? What are you connecting via the adapter?

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 chukyx007

chukyx007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

sure OS is windows 7 home premium 64bit on a toshiba satellite laptop

before when i used this adapter i plugged in a hard drive (IDE) and it worked fine, but now i am trying to plug in a XBOX 360 DVD player via this adapter so i caan flash it because the dvd drive doesnt match my xbox 360's motherboard and hoping this will fix the problem

im wondering if the only solution is to buy another computer that has multiple sata plugins and then plug in the xbox dvd drive 'directly' to the computer via sata, not using this adapter, anyways i think ALL the drivers are loaded and working well but this one thing (usb mass storage) which is my adapter says DEVICE CANNOT START

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

I'm thinking that you need a driver / program on the computer to play with the xbox stuff - way out of my league, don't game

Have you looked on their site for help?

Dick E

#5 chukyx007

chukyx007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

i think im just going to buy a new computer...cause its just not reading or sending the signal through, i dont think there is a driver for my adapter it has a blue light on it

i have jungle flasher but that doesnt read the xbox drive at all...the program is working well...  i know for sure i need the device to start since it is device cannot start

#6 chukyx007

chukyx007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:50 PM

what if ii did need some sort of program, what would that be called ? because its my computer usb to the adapter to the xbox dvd...what are those things typically called? referred to as?

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:50 PM

Seems like an expensive way to solve the problem but it's your decision

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Dick E

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

I haven't got a good idea on possible program / utility names but searching the xbox site for software to do what you're trying to accomplish would be my starting point. You might even find a FAQ there that would walk you through the process

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users