Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hearing random beeps from my laptop at times

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 IllusionEclipse

IllusionEclipse

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:23 PM

For the past few months I've been hearing this random beep that occurs now and then at random, does anyone know any potential causes? I've scoped out driver problems and I don't think it's anything to do with that. I doubt it a malicious program either. I've run my computer over with various tools and cleaned it up roughly weekly. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. 

An illusion is as real as the person who sees it, but wouldn't that be an illusion in and of itself?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

What type of beep? It could be a windows error (software), or a hardware issue. You can check the System event logs in windows to see if there is anything listed about the time you hear the beeps.

How to view event logs: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Edited by zingo156, 02 June 2014 - 08:54 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 IllusionEclipse

IllusionEclipse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:59 AM

It's just a  random beep, doesn't sound like a windows error beep. I can hear it even if my headset is plugged in, like it's coming from the motherboard itself... would a post of comp specs help any?

Edited by IllusionEclipse, 03 June 2014 - 02:01 AM.

An illusion is as real as the person who sees it, but wouldn't that be an illusion in and of itself?

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

Do you hear the beep at completely random times or more so during gaming? Since this is a laptop, it could be a lose/intermittent power connection problem. A lot of laptops make a beep when you plug in or unplug the power adapter (Lenovo is well known for this). This might indicate a problem with the power adapter cord or the power adapter itself, or the jack inside of the computer. You can visually inspect the jack that is built into the laptop for problems. Or take a picture and post it here...

As a quick test, you can wiggle the cord near where it plugs into the laptop and listen for the beeps. You can watch your screen as well and see if it goes from plugged in and charging to just running on battery. This is the most common cause of random beeps from my experience.

You can download and run speccy to post your specs:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 IllusionEclipse

IllusionEclipse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/zdp3jXxNJBFV8JNeALriGsH

There's the specs. anyways yes, the beeping is completely random. there's been no identifiable pattern as to what causes it or when it happens. If this helps any, I had to get my hard drive replace due to it becoming faulty and my laptop wouldn't boot up. After the new drive was put in, It started to sound these beeps as I have described, and they only happen for a split second. I've checked the event log over and can't say I see anything possibly related (aside from a whole mountain of error logs that seem to be to do with my printer, which was installed on my laptop before my hard drive went faulty).

Edit: On another sidenote, I checked Speccy again after a bit of gaming and noticed my laptop's temperature ratings were looking "not so hot" Attached File  CPU overheat..PNG   55.72KB   1 downloads

Edited by IllusionEclipse, 04 June 2014 - 07:08 AM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:09 AM

Dust out your computer, those temps are over the max for cpu from what I could find (still looking for exact model temps):

All Athlon II x2's max temps are -> 74~75'C
Athlon II x3 Series -> 73'C
Athlon II x4 Series -> 71'C
Phenom II x2 5XX Series -> 70'C
Phenom II x3 7XX Series -> 73'C
Phenom II x4 8XX Series -> 71'C
Phenom II x4 9 Series 95W -> 71'C
Phenom II x4 9 Series 125/140W -> 62'C
Phenom II x6 1035T/1045T(new released)/1055T 95W -> 71'C
Phenom II x6 1055T (125W) 1065T 1075T 1090T 1100T -> 62'C
FX8120/FX8150 (BULLDOZERS) -> 61'C
FX6100/FX4100 -> 70'C

Edited by zingo156, 04 June 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

Did you check that it was not related to the power adapter? You could test this by running it without the battery installed... If the power disconnects, the computer will shut off.

You could also test with the battery alone (the computer not plugged in) and see if any beep happens while running on the battery.

#8 colin q

colin q

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:01 AM

hi my laptop ( hp windows 7 ) makes this random bleep, I thought it might be because I changed the power settings ie when your computer sleeps, the screen dims or screen goes off I changed all to never,i changed the settings back and still does it, im now at a loss as I have no idea what this is, I also unplugged my battery charger to see if this helped guess what ? didn't make a difference lol, it is some kind of notification sound but nothing on the screen to say what, if any one could shed some light on this subject I would be grateful many thanks colin

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:50 AM

Computers will beep when a USB device is plugged in or unplugged. You may have a USB device that has an issue. Can you describe the random beep a bit more? How often does it happen?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users