Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:05 PM

I have some stuff in C Drive that I want to clean up:  Is TivoDirectShowFilter needed for any thing?  My computer was used so I am guessing that this was installed by the previous owner.

Schwab, SSPro is another that I am not sure about so wont remove unless someone can help.

I would also love to know how I can tell when my laptop was setup so that I will be better able to see things that were loaded after initial setup.  Thanks

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

IMO...if you now have a system which belonged to another user...a clean install or restore-to-factory-defaults is your best option, rather than trying to clean up excess baggage from whateveer transpired before you took ownership.

Louis

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,265 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

IMO...if you now have a system which belonged to another user...a clean install or restore-to-factory-defaults is your best option, rather than trying to clean up excess baggage from whateveer transpired before you took ownership.

Louis

Thanks Louis but I do not have the XP Disc to do so.  "or restore-to -factory-defaults"  How would I do this and if I do will I loose all the stuff I want to keep?  Just want to get rid of a few things and the ones that I mentioned seem to be useless as far as I can tell.  I did a search for them and came up with nothing important.  One just seems to be a "Tivo Recorder" file of some kind that I don't believe my computer uses.  The other one is some kind of financial trading file/software? that I am sure that I don't need lol.  Thanks again for the reply 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

If you are not in a position to take Louis' advice because you don't have an install disc, then you can remove any applications you don't want manually.

Click 'Start - Settings - Control panel - add/Remove programs' and you will get a list of the installed software on your computer. Click on any application you don't want, then click on 'Uninstall' at the top of the screen and it will be uninstalled.

You could also install the free temporary file cleaner 'Ccleaner' which you can get from www.piriform.com . It is very good at getting rid of temporary files which can clutter up an old system - or indeed a new one. Only one note of caution with Ccleaner. One of the tools that comes with it is a registry cleaner - do NOT use this function. It is almost never necessary to make changes to the registry, and the use of such registry cleaners is strongly discouraged here on BC.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,265 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:39 PM

I got all my Programs sorted, I removed a few things from the C Drive that were not needed and wanted to remove more that are not needed.  No reason in having all these old files that I have never used that don't belong. 

I have been meaning to use Ccleaner again.  The first time I used it I used the Registry Cleaner LOL just like you have mentioned here with negative results LOL.  So, I will try it again just to keep things clean.  Is it possible to get someone here to guide me, or a good tutorial on it, or just use it without the Reg Cleaner?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

As long as you don't use the registry cleaner function...and read the instructions for using it...you should have no problem.

One thing you should know about Ccleaner is that the default settings will delete any dump files, eliminating any history of BSODs.  I believe that setting can be changed by any user.  I've not used it ever so I can't say exactly where the setting is...but take a look at the default items which it will remove as useless.

Of course...dump files are not useless for anyone who is having system problems :).  Not sure why the developers of Ccleaner thought that.

Louis

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

Have a look at this image i just whomped up. It shows you both of the points about CCleaner that have been made in the above posts.

http://imageshack.com/a/img845/3295/ys6se.jpg

Chris Cosgrove

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,265 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

Thanks Chris Cosgrove I will take a look at it.  BC offers more than just Ccleaner but this is the one I would want to use right?

Also, if you have time, I have always wondered why there is a Download from the Publisher and from BC.com, what is the difference and which one should I choose?

Edited by pcpunk, 05 June 2014 - 05:37 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:32 AM

Regarding the BC Downloads section...BC hosts download links to various software items...as a courtesy/convenience to our many members.

Providing these download links...in no way should be interpreted as an "endorsement" or other suggestion to employ such software.  That's a user/member decision.  The links are available strictly (IMO) as a convenient point for readily available software which a member may want to access without the hazards inherent in many typical websites offering downloads.

The links at BC are offered with full knowledge of the software developers.

I don't believe that there should be any difference at all between the versions hosted by BC or the versions hosted at the website of the program developer.  The "danger" comes when you download from many of the multiple websites which don't necessarily host the most current version and are fraught with misleading buttons/ads and other inconveniences that a person has not bargained for.

Louis

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,265 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

Thanks Hamluis that was very helpful.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh