Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Budget Computer Build

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CtrlAltDelete

CtrlAltDelete

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hey guys, brand new here and I have a question. I decided to build a new PC since my old one has finally kicked the bucket. However, I know nothing about building a PC (or very little at least). I'd like to use it for gaming primarily but it will also probably be used for doing word documents or other similar work to some extent. I should mention, when I say gaming, I don't mean maxing out BF4 and getting 60 fps, I would just like to be able to run games like Skyrim on medium-high settings with no significant framerate drops. I've assembled some parts but I am not sure if everything will be compatible/suitable for what I want to do. If anyone has any suggestions they are more than welcome. I have to try to keep the build in the ballpark of 450$ range  without the OS if at all possible. So, that being said, here is my list of assembled parts that I came up with: 

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8 Ghz Quad Core

HDD: WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM

Memory: Ripjaws Series 4GB Ram (2x2Gb I went with two sticks for dual channel...worthwhile?)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750TI

Motherboard: MSI A78M-E35

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX430 (80+ Bronze)

Case: Gamma Classic Series ATX 

Optical Drive: Asus 24x DVD-RW Optical Drive (Nothing spectacular, just need something that works)

I'm not entirely sure the mobo is good or if it will be compatible with my CPU or if all my other parts will all work and if my PSU is suitable for running the system. I apologize for being such an amateur at this but I have never done it before. Once again, suggestions and opinions are welcome! I just need to keep this build within my tight budget. Thanks guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128659&cm_re=FM2-_-13-128-659-_-Product

I like this board better. 3 extra VRM phases. Barely any more expensive. 

Rest of the build looks good, except that I would go with 2x4GB not 2x2GB of RAM.

#3 CtrlAltDelete

CtrlAltDelete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:55 PM

Thanks for the reply! That motherboard does seem better especially for the marginal cost increase. I like the 4 slots for RAM in case I upgrade to more later on in my build. Now I apologize but I have another question which I'm sure will sound stupid... I notice that the board you linked says "FM2+ Ready, Supports FM2+/FM2 A Series APU's"...now I'm sure this is a stupid question but aren't the APU's systems with integrated graphics? If that is so (which I am probably wrong) will the board still support my CPU and can I still use my GPU with it? Once again, sorry for my lack of knowledge!

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

Hi, the APU does include a integrated graphics and the chosen APU will certainly work with the new motherboard. The GTX 750ti will work with the motherboard an once the card is in the system, the integrated graphics will be disabled.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for the reply! That motherboard does seem better especially for the marginal cost increase. I like the 4 slots for RAM in case I upgrade to more later on in my build. Now I apologize but I have another question which I'm sure will sound stupid... I notice that the board you linked says "FM2+ Ready, Supports FM2+/FM2 A Series APU's"...now I'm sure this is a stupid question but aren't the APU's systems with integrated graphics? If that is so (which I am probably wrong) will the board still support my CPU and can I still use my GPU with it? Once again, sorry for my lack of knowledge!

You have chosen an APU. That's what the Athlon is. As Killer said the integrated graphics are disabled when you use a video card.  Your build looks good. Do make sure you get at least 8GB of RAM (2x4GB). In some situations, you could easily go over 4GB in normal use (my one system has so much stuff running in the background it idles at 3GB of memory used). 8 is the minimum these days. Some OEM systems have 6 but OEMs are crazy and don't care about your computing experience. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users