Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 DVD Drive Won't Read/Write DVD Disks.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mred27

mred27

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

Ran the Win 7 Home Premium CD diagnostic and it passed but the DVD diag says "Please insert disk" even though one is inserted.

DVD Drive won't read DVD movies, DVD+R, DVD+RW,DVD-R, DVD-RW. Need to make a system recovery disk so your help is appreciated.Here is my optical drive info from Speccy.

TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633F
    Media Type    DVD Writer
    Name    TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633F
    Availability    Running/Full Power
    Capabilities    Random Access, Supports Writing, Supports Removable Media
    Read capabilities    CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-RAM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW DL, DVD+R DL
    Write capabilities    CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL
    Config Manager Error Code    Device is working properly
    Config Manager User Config    FALSE
    Drive    D:
    Media Loaded    FALSE
    SCSI Bus    0
    SCSI Logical Unit    0
    SCSI Port    0
    SCSI Target Id    1
    Status    OK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

Same computer ??...http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536192/possible-trolltechtrojan-trend-micro-clean-boot-unexplained-pop-up/

Noviciate would probably appreciate no changes being made to the PC in question.

if this is a different PC, then....

Have you tried THIS

Edited by Condobloke, 01 June 2014 - 07:46 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

You can potentially save a lot of wasted time by seeing if the drive can read and boot from a bootable DVD, such as a Windows installation DVD or a Linux Live DVD. Using a boot DVD eliminates other variables, and lets you determine if the drive itself has failed.

If a DVD cannot be read to boot from, either the DVD section of the drive's laser has failed, or there is something on the lens obstructing just the DVD beam. If lens cleaning doesn't restore operation, the drive would need replacement.

If you establish that the drive can read a boot DVD OK, then it's time to proceed with further diagnosis, as suggested.

Edited by Platypus, 01 June 2014 - 07:45 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

When I run into this kind of thing, I use my DVD cleaner disc, and it usually fixes the problem.  I think I paid $10 for it at a local computer store.  When it doesn't work, I just replace the drive.  The local Micro Center sells them for $17 so they're not expensive. They're also easy to replace in desktops.  You just pop the cover off, remove 4 screws and 2 cables, then reverse the process.  If new drivers are needed, Windows will find them and install.  You could always buy an external drive too, they're only a bit more expensive.  I believe they go for $25 and up.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 mred27

mred27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

Same computer ??...http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536192/possible-trolltechtrojan-trend-micro-clean-boot-unexplained-pop-up/

Noviciate would probably appreciate no changes being made to the PC in question.

Yes, same computer. Was just digging up some info for troubleshooting. Thx. for the link.

#6 mred27

mred27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

You can potentially save a lot of wasted time by seeing if the drive can read and boot from a bootable DVD, such as a Windows installation DVD or a Linux Live DVD. Using a boot DVD eliminates other variables, and lets you determine if the drive itself has failed.

If a DVD cannot be read to boot from, either the DVD section of the drive's laser has failed, or there is something on the lens obstructing just the DVD beam. If lens cleaning doesn't restore operation, the drive would need replacement.

If you establish that the drive can read a boot DVD OK, then it's time to proceed with further diagnosis, as suggested.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have a bootable DVD and the laptop didn't come with installation disks (Sony). Tried a cleaning DVD but won't read it. Thx.

#7 mred27

mred27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

When I run into this kind of thing, I use my DVD cleaner disc, and it usually fixes the problem.  I think I paid $10 for it at a local computer store.  When it doesn't work, I just replace the drive.  The local Micro Center sells them for $17 so they're not expensive. They're also easy to replace in desktops.  You just pop the cover off, remove 4 screws and 2 cables, then reverse the process.  If new drivers are needed, Windows will find them and install.  You could always buy an external drive too, they're only a bit more expensive.  I believe they go for $25 and up.

Thanks, it's a Sony laptop. Tried a DVD cleaning disk but it won't read it. Strange that since it is a combo CD/DVD but win diagnostic says CD passes but not DVD so thinking it might not be mechanical. Good thought on the external drive also. Thx.

#8 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

Well there is a firmware update.  But I don't think it will help.  You didn't list the model laptop so their TS downloads could be checked.

My guess is bad drive.

"Win 7 Home Premium CD diagnostic"

Whatever that is? 

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41939/~/how-to-use-the-vaio-hardware-diagnostics-utility-to-diagnose-hardware-issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter

Edited by Fascist Nation, 01 June 2014 - 10:04 PM.

#9 mred27

mred27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

You didn't list the model laptop so their TS downloads could be checked.

The model is listed in my profile. Thanks for the links!

• Computer
    Sony Laptop VPCEG1BFX C901S2RZ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users