Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD external HDD

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

HI,I just ran all of the WD diagnostics that WD has for my PASSPORT,even ran the eraser scan,now my question is do i need to reinstall any firmware/software to use it to back my PC,also will it make a difference if OS is WINXP OR WIN 7 can they both be downloaded in a backup on the same

external HDD any thoughts on this would be appreciated ,thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

Nothing else needed to do. The disk should detect automatically. Win7 and XP both use the same file system and partition type... so no worries.

Backup away.!

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

thank you.

#4 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

Well i found a youtube video on how to transfer files to external HDD,but right i am doing them one at a time is there quicker of doing it like "select all" and transfer them all at once,thanks

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

If you hold down the Ctrl key and click on the files you want you should be able to multi-select them, then copy as a group.

#6 HalfBreed

HalfBreed

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:52 AM

TsVK! since you seem to know the WD passport, I have a question for you. I just recently purchased my 1st external hd for a back after the devasating loss of my last computer with out a recent Back Up and yes I screwed up big time :-(. Here is the question, should I leave the WD plugged in an set at back up every hr or should I just Plug it in and back up once a wk? Kinda sounds like a not to inteligent question but this is the first ex. hd I've used. I usually just use a memory stick. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

HalfBreed

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:02 AM

I have 3 WD external drives. I only plug them in when I need to write or copy information to/from them. I only make backups on my home machines probably monthly, and if I have something REALLY important I back it up every time I use it to USB.

I don't bother with system imaging though, just back up my media and personal documents.

hint: make 2 copies of your most important stuff on different external HD's. :thumbsup2:

#8 HalfBreed

HalfBreed

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:11 AM

Thanks for the quick response, I have a 1 tb Wd for the new DT, and received an e-mail from some place the other night that had a 2tb WD on sale for $89 which is less than the WD1 I have so I thought I would order the 2 to have on hand maybe for the  LT. Once again thanks, can you tell me which forum can direct me in how to tie multply DT's together.Thanks again.

HB

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:16 AM

I'm not sure what you are asking, sorry.

#10 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

HI,Heres the question for today,i have PC that shows 139GB and 89GB free space now if i understand HDD's that i am using 50GB'S now out of that 50GB'S does that include the OS if so

then i should be able use a USB drive to download all of whats on the PC HDD as i want install a new HDD with WIN 7 OS THEN DOWNLOAD WHAT I TOOK OFF OF the original HDD.

Does seem a logical way of doing it,thanks

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

Hi there...

As I understand it your current OS is probably XP and you are looking at upgrading in the move also? So you need only to copy your person files and folders and your application settings and data.

So assuming this is true,

You don't even need to back the data on to a USB HD drive. You can just install the new HDD, remove the old one. Once your new OS is installed add the old disk back as a storage drive, then copy your personal files, data and program settings/data over at leisure. When you have everything copied and working true you can then go ahead and format the old drive, erasing the older OS, and then use it as a backup/storage drive.

#12 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

HI,TsVk!,OKi understand installing new HDD as i have done this already on the PC i am using right now.

Your line that says (Once your new OS is installed ) I am at a lose as to how to transfer from old HDD,that is where i ran into problems with my present setup which my present setup is WIN 7 with WINXP on two separate HDD'S in the same tower,i know it is reasonably simple just do not have it straight in my little mind yet.

THAT IS WHY I WAS LEANING TOWARDS A USB DRIVE TO TRANSFER all that i have on old HDD which is about 8yrs. old.

I have done the copy and paste routine from one drive letter to another drive letter is that what you were talking about,thanks

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

What is left that still needs transferring to your new OS/HDD?

#14 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

This is a project that is in the making for my sons PC,i just want to cut down on mistakes i made in the past, i got my WIN 7 up and running and just want to get all i can off of my WINXP and if possible put it on a partition so that the info that is now on the WINXP HDD is on a different partition so i do end up with a mix and match mess with both sets of data on the same partition.

I have a SEAGATE SSD HYBRID HDD with WIN 7 on it with 1TB HDD all i need now is get it straight in my mind on how to partition the HDD so WIN 7 is on one partition,one partition with

all of data from WINXP on another and as soon as i figure it out LINIX on another partition,is this feasible,thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users