Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a little help getting Hitman Pro usb to boot up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Obit-Guy-78

Obit-Guy-78

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

Hi everyone. It's my first post here. I wish it were under better circumstances.

A few days ago my HP laptop caught the ICE Moneypak virus. And unfortunately it seems to be the version that prevents me from booting up in any safe mode whatsoever.

Just about every resource pointed me in the direction of using a bootable program like Hitman pro. So after spending some time reading up, that's what I went with. It's been quite a learning process, but I did it.

I managed to create the bootable usb on a clean computer.

I managed to set the infected computer to boot up from the usb first.

I even got that start up screen you're supposed to get from Hitman where it gives you the three options of how to boot up.

But if I select "Bypass Master Boot Record," the step I thought I was supposed to pick....nothing happens.

Yeah...nothing. The screen just stays totally black. I thought maybe I had to wait a bit, but no, nothing is all that happens.

I looked around various forums, and I couldn't quite find anyone who's quite had this exact same problem with this.

I figured I'd try posting in this forum for started, instead of the main virus removal thread, since I feel like I know the process I need to follow, I can't just get it past this one step.

Does anyone out there any advice for this one? Something I'm not doing correctly?

Thanks for all the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

Hello and Welcome,

Just a couple of questions. Are you using version 2.3 of Kickstart? You can see the version on the Windows that asks you to bypass the MBR. Have to tried regular boot (second option) and see if Hitman Pro can still start?

http://www.surfright.nl/en/kickstart

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 June 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#3 Obit-Guy-78

Obit-Guy-78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

I just booted it up to check.

Yes it is the 2.3 version.

It gives me three options to choose from.

1. Bypassing the Master boot record.

2. Regular

3. and a "Legacy Boot", which I tried because it said its recommended for windows xp, and that's what I have.

All three of these do the same thing; the screen just goes black. And that's it. Hard drive is silent.

The only thing I can get the computer to do when it does this, is if I hit control alt delete, it does restart itself back up like I just turned the power on and then it boots the usb back up again and takes me to those same three options.

Thanks!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

We can try a different approach using Kaskpersky Rescue Disk and the Windows Unlocker option. Download the Kaspersky Rescue Disk iso and burn it to a CD. WIth Windows 7 you can double click the iso file and let Windows 7 burning utility burn the iso or you can use software like Imgburn to burn the iso file to make a bootable CD.

Note: If you do not have the option to boot a CD, you can create a bootable USB flash drive using the Kaspersky USB Rescue Disk Maker. Any data on the Flash Drive will be erased so back up any files that you need from the Flash Drive first.

Boot the disk (or USB flash drive) and when the Desktop appears a Window will open with the option to do a virus scan. Do not do the scan yet. You will need to open a terminal window and type the following command.

Windowsunlocker   <enter>

Then type

1   <enter> to Unlock Windows

This will attempt to clear the registry and then it will allow you to do a virus scan.

Please read through the steps here.

It would be easier if you could directly connect your computer to your router or modem using a Ethernet cable as this will allow Kaspersky to udpate the database. I am not sure if can update the database wirelessly. I will have to confirm that.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 June 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#5 Obit-Guy-78

Obit-Guy-78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:25 PM

Thanks for the help. During my research for this, I did run across other options, and this was one of them. I think I'll give it a go.

Part of me just wanted to see if there was any way I could get the Kickstart up and running since I was ALMOST there, you know?

I think my infected computer will boot up from the CD drive, so hopefully I can get Kaspersky on there.

I was a little confused at the act of burning the ISO onto a disk. I know that's common computer talk apparently, but I guess I just got turned around because I wasn't sure if that was the same thing as just saving it to a CD wholesale or a different process entirely that I didn't have the software for. I mean, I make mix CD's on my computer, so surely it can burn things, right? haha.

Oh...and in your instructions, after "then type," what is it I type in? Is it...

"1 <enter> to unlock windows"

or is it just

"<enter> to unlock windows"

I wasn't sure if the numeral 1 you included was part of it.

I'll look into this soon and let you know.

Thanks!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

Sorry I was not clear enough. When I said <enter> , I did not mean to type that. I meant that your press enter after the command. After typing Windowsunlocker and then pressing the enter key you will get another window with options. You want to type 1 and then enter.

Edit: Hopefully Kaspersky will remove it as it is Linux based and will clean the registry outside of windows.

home_krd_8005_05_en13-155451.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 June 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,889 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

If you have specific questions or encounter problems using HitmanPro.Kickstart, you can always Contact HitmanPro Support directly.

erikloman and Edwin Engels (eengels) are two SurfRight Reps. who visit BC on occasion to answer questions and provide assistance. Edwin can be contacted by email at edwin@surfright.com

As SurfRight Reps, they and other Support Techs would be more familiar with any issues encountered using HitmanPro than any of our staff or members.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Obit-Guy-78

Obit-Guy-78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for providing me with the direct path for support! I'll check that out for sure as well.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,889 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

You're welcome and good luck.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif