Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Same Laptop,will Not Boot Stops At Insert System Disk

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 smoke and flames

smoke and flames

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 04:12 PM

i put a hard drive in the unit.
when you supply power it comes on, goes thru memory check and stops at insert system disk and push any key.no matter what you do thats all you can get it to do.can anyone help me get this thing to except an operating system?
bios recognizes the hard drive.
supplier said hard drive was formatted to a c prompt,and said that xray of postal parcels could have removed the prompt?

if you start with the startdisk in the cd rom,and turn on the machine it goes thru the memory test and goes to insert system disk then progresses no further.

i have visited the microsoft site to no avail.

thank you for any help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 25 May 2006 - 05:52 PM

Well, if the BIOS sees it, then the HDD is working..... And it's a laptop, so it's not as if it would be on the wrong IDE...... So it definitely sounds like there is no OS on the HDD, I guess....?

Now you said that "if you start with the startdisk in the cd rom,and turn on the machine it goes thru the memory test and goes to insert system disk then progresses no further" - I take it you mean the Windows installer CDROM? If so, then you need to ensure that you set your BOOT PRIORITY in the BIOS. It may currently be set to boot from (eg.) LEgacy Floppy, then Hard Drive, then CDROM. You need to have it boot from the CDROM (ATAPI device) first....

Hope that helps!
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 smoke and flames

smoke and flames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:53 PM

Well, if the BIOS sees it, then the HDD is working..... And it's a laptop, so it's not as if it would be on the wrong IDE...... So it definitely sounds like there is no OS on the HDD, I guess....?

Now you said that "if you start with the startdisk in the cd rom,and turn on the machine it goes thru the memory test and goes to insert system disk then progresses no further" - I take it you mean the Windows installer CDROM? If so, then you need to ensure that you set your BOOT PRIORITY in the BIOS. It may currently be set to boot from (eg.) LEgacy Floppy, then Hard Drive, then CDROM. You need to have it boot from the CDROM (ATAPI device) first....

Hope that helps!

thank you,bios boot sequence has a HDD and floppy settings, no cd rom.so i have it set to boot to the floppy first then the HDD. Could it be that i need to use a floppy drive? all i have is the removable cd rom. set up with the boot sequence FLOPPY, then HDD,and the start disk installed,it goes no further than the "insert system disk"

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:10 AM

The boot order has to have a setting for the CD drive. Try to change the order - it will become apparent then.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:35 AM

If the cd rom is external, connect it and then look in the boot order.

Windows is way too large to fit on floppies.

#6 smoke and flames

smoke and flames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:41 PM

this unit is a toshiba satellite pro 420cdt. the unit has an internal cd rom that is removable cd rom drive.on the bios boot selection area the only 2 boot options are HDD and floppy. no cd rom is available for selection.i currently have it set to go to the floppy then the HDD for boot sequence,hoping that floppy selection would also be good for the cd. with a start-up cd in the drive i attempt to boot the unit up.at this point it goes thru the memory check and then goes to a screen that says insert system disk in drive,press any key when ready nothing you do will change the outcome of this sequence of occurrences.i have located and depressed the reset button which also has no effect on the outcome.anyone out there have anymore ideas?? i'll try whatever you suggest...thank you...

#7 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:09 PM

Never fear smoke and flames, we understand what you are saying. Lets look at the facts:

1. Your CD Drive is external and connects via USB.
2. You do not have the option to select the CDROM in the boot priority.
3. You cannot load Windows without first booting from CDROM.

This is what we need to find out:

1. Does the PC detect that there is a USB CDROM drive connected at boot up?
- If not, enable the USB function in the BIOS.
2. Can the BIOS be changed to enable the PC to be boot from USB devices?

*** To answer question 1, when you boot your PC, there should be a list of all the hard drives connected to the motherboard. The CDROM drive should appear in that list. If it does not, there should be an option to enable USB devices in the BIOS.
*** To answer question 2, go into the BIOS and look for an entry which is along the lines of "Boot from USB", or anything to do with enabling the PC to boot from USB devices. Ensure this is enabled.

Now, if you were able to anwser those two questions, you will need to reboot your PC, and after the POST (at which time it should also detect your HDD and your CDROM drive), go into your BIOS:

- Does it now give you the option of selecting your CDROM drive in the boot priority list?

If so, ensure that the CDROM is first in the list, then save your changes and reboot. You will need to keep your eyes on the screen because it will ask you if you wish to boot from the CD (ie. press any key to boot from CD). :thumbsup:
If not :flowers: , you will need to find a friend who can make you a floppy boot disk that will enable both CDROM and USB support, and then launch the Windows Setup disc from the MS-DOS prompt.

Let us know how you get on with those options.......

:trumpet:

Edited by JPHarvey, 28 May 2006 - 09:12 PM.

[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#8 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:34 PM

SORRY!! I just read your post properly - you said you have an internal CDROM Drive? So Floppy and Harddisk are the only two options? Is there anywhere else in the BIOS that will allow you to enable the CDROM? Sorry again!
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#9 smoke and flames

smoke and flames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:47 PM

I don't think that we have the facts straight just yet.

1. this laptop is old and has NO usb ports
2.the bios has no cd rom choice for boot sequence
3.the unit is fitted however with an internal cd rom.
4 bios version is 5.30
5.under hard disk in the bios screen there was no HDD until i installed the replacement which tells me it is detected.

I hope this helps a bit, i don't know how i misled you but i did. thank you...

#10 smoke and flames

smoke and flames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:51 PM

no problem at all.
i haven't seen any other places to enable the cd rom.
the cd rom does work briefly during the attempt at boot up.

#11 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:56 PM

No mate, you didn't mislead me, I just didn't read your post properly.

Okay, so the CDROM is internal but is not detected by the Laptop........

Mmmmm. In the BIOS, does it have the following options anywhere:

"On-chip Primary PCI IDE" and/or
"On-chip Secondary PCI IDE"

..or something similar? If so, what are the values set for them (eg. enabled, disabled, auto, etc...)

Sorry again!
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#12 smoke and flames

smoke and flames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:07 PM

i have strolled thru the bios options and have found nothing resembling,your suggestions. the cd rom does seem to be used slightly in the start-up process,as the light comes on and you can hear it work for a few seconds before the insert system disk message appears.so i wonder if they use the floppy setting in the bios for a removeable cd rom,because the only reason you would remove it would be to insert a removeable floppy drive.so i don't thimk they would want you to change bios settings just to change drives? thank you for all this.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:54 PM

What operating system are you trying to install?

You may need a boot disk, or set of them (floppy).

If it is for Win XP get them here:
How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

If it is not, you may need the proper ones for the op system you are trying to install.

Edited by Enthusiast, 28 May 2006 - 10:58 PM.

#14 smoke and flames

smoke and flames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:57 PM

i have a complete windows 98 to install and a windows 98 boot disk both on cd....thank you

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:58 PM

Install DOS with the cdrom support from http://www.bootdisk.com and then plug in the cd in place of the floppy.

Edited by acklan, 28 May 2006 - 11:05 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users