Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7/ Secunia problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Manolis

Manolis

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:26 AM

Hello there! :-)

My name is Manolis, I am 34 and I come from Greece.

I don't know If my topic is completely relevant to this forum so sorry about that.

Recently I have had problems with Secunia. It says that I must update WinRAR 4.x. When I click on the icon it leads me to a new page which has the headlines : 

Latest English WinRAR and RAR beta versions,

Latest localized WinRAR beta versions,

English WinRAR and RAR release and

Localized WinRAR versions

Under each of these headlines there are several links for updating Win RAR in many languages. I have tried downloading the English version and it seems to download the newest file. However, when I turn on the PC again, Secunia informs me that the Win RAR file has to be updated again. Is this because the file was not properly updated, because I clicked on the wrong link or because Secunia is stuck?

Any ideas? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

I don't see why you would have to update from version 4. That is the version I am using and as far as I know, there is nothing security related in the updated versions. The RAR format was changed in version 5.

Do you want the Greek or English version? The latest non-beta version is 5.01 You do not have to uninstall the previous version. But, the rarreg key file is in the Programs Directory of Winrar if you want to back it up.

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

#3 Manolis

Manolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

John hi! :-) Thank you for your reply and for the link!

The truth is I am not sure what's wrong.  Although I download the relevant update, Secunia keeps telling me that Win RAR remains to be updated...

The link you provided me is the exact link that Secunia leads me to. From that link I download the "Localized WinRAR versions -> Greek (64 bit)". Is this the right update? I just have the impression that I have probably updated WinRAR and it's fine but Secunia doesn't "read"  that the update is completed. Should I bother more or just leave it like that?

Thank you again for your help!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

Personally, if you are having no trouble with Winrar 4, I would just leave it alone. I still have Winrar 4 and plan on keeping it at 4.

#5 Manolis

Manolis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

Ok! I think I will just leave it like this since WinRAR seems to work fine.

Thank you so much!

Best wishes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users