Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secure Connection

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:49 AM

Okay, so this is going to sound weird, I'm very concerned with security. As in, I have locked one of my laptops up in a safe with a charger. This laptop has never connected to the internet and I'm not willing to connect it.Being me, I've also installed a certain usb token program that requires my usb to log in to windows which I threw away the day I made it. (By the way, it's running windows 7). I need to connect to this laptop using my Asus T100TA laptop which is running windows 8.1, and for those of you networking junkies I'll bet you already know you can't use an ad hoc network with win8.1 without doing some work in cmd.  I'm not willing to install 3rd party hardware OR software onto my quarantined laptop however I still need to control it... 

I've tried searching Google, Bing, Yahoo, Dogpile, and DuckDuckGo and can't find a thing. To give you some idea as to where I'm at...

Telnet does not work because I've disabled it,

3rd party software is a no no,

Sharing any files or folders on my quarantined laptop is also a no no,

I am not willing to access this laptop physically, it'd be a waste of time without the usb key anyway since I have a safeboot program on there as well,

rdp and mstsc are negated by the usb requirement,

the computer will never be allowed to touch the internet.

I know, I'm crazy lol I just have a lot of private records on that pc and I need to access them with read/write permissions.

So please, if you know what to do, let me know. Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 01 June 2014 - 10:17 AM.
Moved from Win 8 to Win 7 - Hamluis.

Thanks,

Daniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:06 AM

use easy transfer, see under tutorials

Roy

#3 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

That's a very good idea but UAC migration isn't quite what I'm looking for. I don't have physical access to insert any media and I can't access it over a network. Thank you, though! That hadn't hit me before.

Thanks,

Daniel

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:48 AM

I don't have physical access to insert any media and I can't access it over a network. Thank you, though! That hadn't hit me before.

When you disqualify VPNs, and "sneaker nets", and ad hocs...what did you think you could use? It seems to me the only thing you can use is ad hoc, but then I believe you would still have to "Share" the desired folders. You might consider using Bitlocker encryption, if the versions of Windows you have are elevated enough.

#5 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

I've never heard of a "sneaker net"... I'll look into it.  As far as Bitlocker, that may work just fine. Thanks, I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks,

Daniel

#6 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

i got it, removable media is a sneakernet...

Thanks,

Daniel

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

My question first would be why are you using windows for sharing if you want that type of security?

A good NAS with good encryption levels would be more than enough for a business or a house hold user unless you really have somethign to hide in which case you wouldnt leave it connected to power, just saying.

What you also need to know is that the USB still has to pass a  token to the southbridge on which the cpu has to process this through the northbridge (North passes data from south), so in theory it still can be captured and dissasembeled.

When i think of security and you seem like you want to get to that of level security, you need to think about a hell of a lot more than putting it in a safe.

For instance, have you ever heard of the bios speaker being used to spread malware by using just the bios battery if it has enough power (Computer doesnt even have to have a power cord plugged in)?

Its real and has been done before. The reason im saying this is because the computer that was spreading this malware was locked in a safe room (Vault) with no network activity at all and you are mimicing this type of setup.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 02 June 2014 - 06:11 PM.

#8 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

Oh, look! An even bigger state of paranoia has taken over! Thanks. lol I'm not quite smart enough to understand what you said completely, but I do get the point. As far as security, yes I am trying to reach that level. Are there any simple steps I can take to secure it? Other than taking a nuke to the poor thing....

Thanks,

Daniel

#9 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:11 PM

So, I just read up on the BadBIOS virus... I'm removing the mic...

Thanks,

Daniel

#10 GraceHolly

GraceHolly

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:47 AM

Thanks very much,  finally I understabd the problem.

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

Can you communicate with the machine, i.e. is it on a network?  I kind of assume that it is from the telnet comment.  Did you disable the administrative shares on the "secure" machine?  If not that is probably the easiest way in.

I'm thinking that there isn't much point in going to so much trouble to secure this machine, if you need to access data stored on it from another machine.

The question is what network type access methods (wireless, LAN, USB, Bluetooth) are open to access this machine?

#12 laszlo42

laszlo42

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

So you want to use a network connection instead of physical access? I'm probably to tired right now, but to me it would seem that no network connection and physical access instead might be safer.

#13 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

I have no physical access, so no ethernet. I do have a wifi adapter on and enabled. As far as connecting to my home router, I am strongly against this. Ad hoc networks will not work, at least not on my Windows 8 pc. I do have a Windows 7 pc laying around but I'm afraid it may be "contaminated." 

To remark about telnet, no it wont work. I've disabled it-mainly because I've never really had any success with getting it to work anyway. lol

Anyway, as far as money goes, I'm not worried about the cost. I can afford most of anything you throw at me-assuming you don't go over 100k. lol

Thanks,

Daniel

#14 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

So, it sounds like a separate wireless network to connect to in order to communicate with the laptop.  I haven't played with setting a static IP address on a wireless card and connecting to it. From this page it looks like you can't do a wireless network without it being ad-hoc.

So, either you create a second wireless network, not necessarily connected to the Internet or you go for some kind of physical connect like a USB transfer cable.

#15 laszlo42

laszlo42

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

Just out of curiosity but how is the signal reception of the wifi? I can't imagine it being good at all considering the laptop is in a safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users