Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WMP 12 copies songs twice in library?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 blueballs

blueballs

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:48 AM

My computer is a HP Pavilion P6-2203a Win 7 64 bit, Ive tried Uninstalling & reinstalling WMP12 thru windows features and deleting config %LOCALAPPDATA% so my library can rebuild itself but nothing seems to work? I have about 12GB of music files on a USB hard drive,not all of the albums get copied twice but there is enough to drive me crazy deleting the extra files for hours on end only to see that the deleted files have come back the next day?  Some of my pictures and photos are copied twice also. Ive tried Windows Fixit download as well.Anyone had this problem before and knows how to fix it?

Edited by blueballs, 01 June 2014 - 12:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

Hi,

Is it possible that your mouse is sending a double click, which might cause the program to make two copies?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

Hi,

Is it possible that your mouse is sending a double click, which might cause the program to make two copies?

Keep us posted

Ive checked the mouse settings in control panel and updated the driver but it doesn't look like its the problem?,thanks anyway Dicke it was worth trying.It seems to me it might be the indexing system is corrupted!  I did the sfc/scannow thing but it didn't pick anything up?

Edited by blueballs, 02 June 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#4 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

Might also be possible that you have a playlist file included when you copy those music files thus making your files appear twice in your music library.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#5 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

Might also be possible that you have a playlist file included when you copy those music files thus making your files appear twice in your music library.

No its not that either,I don't have any playlists just the media library.  It seems to be something with the indexing system because my pictures & photos are are doubled up as well? You would think the operating system would be smart enough to recognize a file that is already there? Maybe it could be that I copied my music files and pictures etc... from my old computer that had a different name to a USB hard drive and this computer I'm using now has a different name? So I have 2 main folders of 10GB & 12.5GB of music files with about 6GB of music files common to both that Ive added to the library. Could that be the problem and if so how can I fix it?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:03 AM

FWIW:  The library is not a real location, it just lists files which are located in normal file paths and which you have added to the base locations to which the library looks.  I guess it's a virtual construct of some sort.

I don't use the library myself...I just go directly to the music file locations or populate whichever player I want to use.

If you truly have two folders with different file paths...containing music...the simple way of finding out is to use a tool like Everything or Captain Ransack...to be able to list every file or type of file on the hard drive.  I don't believe the Library will be a location listed, since it really doesn't exist.  You will be able to see what is where...if there is duplication, you can remove dupes.  You can sort the data by filename to easily find dupes.

Louis

#7 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

FWIW:  The library is not a real location, it just lists files which are located in normal file paths and which you have added to the base locations to which the library looks.  I guess it's a virtual construct of some sort.

I don't use the library myself...I just go directly to the music file locations or populate whichever player I want to use.

If you truly have two folders with different file paths...containing music...the simple way of finding out is to use a tool like Everything or Captain Ransack...to be able to list every file or type of file on the hard drive.  I don't believe the Library will be a location listed, since it really doesn't exist.  You will be able to see what is where...if there is duplication, you can remove dupes.  You can sort the data by filename to easily find dupes.

Louis

Yes but then I will only be back to square one manually deleting thousands of duplicates again,is there a program I can get that will match the duplicate file names and delete one? Thanks for the help anyway mate,I appreciate it.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

Hi,

I'm aware of several programs that will find dups but none that will delete all but one of the duped files. Maybe a bit more than the program logic can cope with.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

I use a music player/organiser called MusicBee...

It gives me the ability to "manage duplicates"....it does so very effectively ...because i can 'filter' the duplicates i want to chuck out/save to a playlist/hide/delete/replace with reference to the kept file/....

I know this does not answer the question of 'why'.....but it may come in handy in some way for you.

I am running windows 7...and did notice a duplication of some pics/photos, etc...I do not have enough on this PC to really worry about it but i suspect it has something to do with the program IrfanView

Thats my ramble for the day.

How is sunny WA btw ?

blueballs_zpsbe2320d9.png

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

FWIW:  Any program that I have played with regarding removal of dupe files...requires the user to set the criteria for categorizing a dupe...and then determine which, if any, of the dupes he/she would like to keep.

This correctly places the onus of deleting files...on the user, not the program.  If the onus were placed on the program, I'm sure that there would be all sorts of false claims that the program removed something which the user did not remove.  It's the search/find function which the program is concerned with...removal is left (rightfully) to the user.

Louis

#11 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

It gives me the ability to "manage duplicates"....it does so very effectively ...because i can 'filter' the duplicates i want to chuck out/save to a playlist/hide/delete/replace with reference to the kept file/....

I know this does not answer the question of 'why'.....but it may come in handy in some way for you.

I am running windows 7...and did notice a duplication of some pics/photos, etc...I do not have enough on this PC to really worry about it but i suspect it has something to do with the program IrfanView

How is sunny WA btw ?

Thats just what I need,thanks mate. Its beautiful here today in Geraldton clear blue skies 28c its Broome weather.

Edited by blueballs, 04 June 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

Lots of filters in the MusicBee program mate, so you can set the criteria for categorizing your duplicates.

I noted in your initial post that you have your music on a usb hard drive...so if you press the button (after making the decision which is rightfully yours) and it all goes pear shaped ....then your music is safe !!

Condo is also enjoying good weather....dry....21C....cold mornings (7C)....but we have had recent rain....so the crops here are looking good

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#13 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:29 AM

How is sunny WA btw ?

Yay! Condobloke you are a true champion,I downloaded Music Bee added my files and to my amazement there are no doubles or triple file copies.Its too easy! Why oh why haven't I heard of this cool app before? I'm so happy that I, The mayor of messengers patch deem you ""Sir Condobloke"" as you will forthwith be known to all and sundry from here and there right out to beyond the black stump.

Edited by blueballs, 07 June 2014 - 12:30 AM.

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:43 AM

{Geez mate...i do believe I may have blushed !!........while i wasn't rolling on the floor laughing that is !!!!!}

Glad to have been able to help !

(The black stump sends its regards as does the back of buggery)

EDIT:: Bibliography:          http://martinspribble.com/2012/01/from-the-back-of-buggery/

Edited by Condobloke, 07 June 2014 - 06:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users