Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flimsy HDD's usb connection port...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

Hi I have this pretty large seagate external HDD, but the port (smaller one) is pretty flimsy. I had to open it up and superglue it so it constantly keeps the metal contacts, but that didn't stay very long.

So.. where do I take this to get that fixed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

It depends on the enclosure itself, whether the port connector is mounted to the chassis or to the PCB.  Replacement is called for, eitherway.

#3 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

When you insert power connectors, USB connections etc., insert them straight in and pull them straight out. As *-many-* have discovered, wiggling them up, down, left and right when inserting or removing them wears them out and eventually breaks the port.

#4 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

Thank you for your advice, but i was not the one who bought it.

When you insert power connectors, USB connections etc., insert them straight in and pull them straight out. As *-many-* have discovered, wiggling them up, down, left and right when inserting or removing them wears them out and eventually breaks the port.

So anyways, should you offer a topical response, how would I repair this issue?

#5 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

Replace the damaged connector or port. If you'll post a couple of pics we might be able to help you locate the part(s).

#6 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:21 AM

Replace the damaged connector or port. If you'll post a couple of pics we might be able to help you locate the part(s).

Well.. Gosh I would have to take it apart again. Well it's just the very connection on the part of the hard drive that's loose, but either way I don't think it might be a good idea, because I don't think I'd be able to replace that, because I don't have anything like a welder...

Er, I dunno, perhaps it wouldn't be worth it for me to take a picture and post it?

#7 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:51 AM

So.. where do I take this to get that fixed?

A local PC repair shop may have a solder station that can do the job. Especially if it appears you may just need a couple of solder joints to anchor it. But if the actual circuit board traces are loosening, then that may require a micro/min repair kind of station, which would probably not be available locally.

#8 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

Well.. Gosh I would have to take it apart again. Well it's just the very connection on the part of the hard drive that's loose, but either way I don't think it might be a good idea, because I don't think I'd be able to replace that, because I don't have anything like a welder...

Er, I dunno, perhaps it wouldn't be worth it for me to take a picture and post it?

1) It would probably need to be taken apart again to fix it anyway.

2) Is the loose port fastened to the external enclosure or directly to the internal hard drive itself?

3) If the loose port is one of the ones fastened to the enclosure, is this loose port the one for power or the one for the USB cable?

4) Probably best that you don't have a welder then, because it certainly couldn't be used to fix anything on the drive or enclosure.

#9 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

Well here's the pictureIMG_24401.jpg

I think I'm just goign to need to reorder the green piece that has the loose USB.

The problem is that that USB connection needs to be pressued downwards in order to maintain a connection.

21c6s80.jpg

Edited by JimmyKarter, 16 June 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#10 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

If the solder that is holding the USB port on is cracked, you might try reflowing it with a little soldering iron. Be careful not to flow the solder onto anything else of course.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

If you can't solder the USB port to the bridge card, take it off and put the drive in an enclosure.

#12 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

I really feel like just ordering the part, I don't have a solder.

#13 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

I'm not sure if Seagate will sell that board separately. What's the part number on it?

#14 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

Well....

I was hoping they'd email me back because...

Well, long story.

I don't have it now, I'd have to open it up again.

Sorry

But, it's okay, seagate already said no.

Is my only solution to go find and buy the part?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

In my post #11 I gave a link for an external USB enclosure. All you need to do is take off the bridge card and place the drive in the enclosure which includes the bridge card. And it uses a normal USB port, not a mini.

Edit: It's $5.19 so it's probably cheaper than trying to buy a new bridge card and you get a new enclosure and USB cable too.

Edit Edit: I looked up the number and I believe this is a 2.5 in drive, correct? The enclosure I linked to is 2.5, not 3.5

pothsata2507_3_es.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2014 - 08:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users