Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Found New Hardware: Network Controller

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hikermann

Hikermann

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

WIN XP HOME - Windows opens @ bootup, and "Found New Hardware:  Network Controller" dialog shows up; have no idea to what it is referring; attempt to do the update or whatever it's asking for; always comes up with a negative response.

Go into Device Manager and there it is -- the only yellow question mark; attempt to open or go to properties and everyone is all innocent, oh-no-we-know-nothing-about-this-we-have-no-information ... dah-dah-dah.

Since I've never been an accomplished seer related to anything Windows -- which MSoft obviously believes is a requirement for using its products, I have no idea why this annoying You Have New Hardware business continues to intrude.  Deleting @ Device Manager changed nothing.

So ... is there truly a treasure at the end of this hunt?  Or, since in typical MS fashion, the "error message" gives absolutely no useful information, is there someone out there who might enlighten me about how to be done with this thing?

Many thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:30 AM

Is there an unused network port on your computer that's not being used or recently removed/added?

Normally this is an indication that drivers aren't installed for the component. Sometimes, these errors are false, if there's file contamination.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

Specific PC or motherboard make/model as applicable?

Driver Detective

http://forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?t=1308

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089404/how-to-easily-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-windows.html

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,881 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:29 PM

Sounds like you've done some PC building, those pages contains tons of useful information. Are you a system builder or enthusiast?

These aren't things that the average Joe knows. Neither did I on the driver identification tutorial at PC world, which I've bookmarked for future reference. I hope to see you around here as much as your time allows.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 Hikermann

Hikermann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:41 PM

Thanks for the responses.  From what I've been able to learn in my various on-line forays, it appears to be related to Linksys.

About ten or so years ago I had Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter with Speed Booster (WMP54GS) installed, which included a little USB antenna at the back of my PC tower; hadn't used it for about the last eight or so years, but the antenna remained; no other Linksys stuff was loaded in as I'd gotten a new hard drive, etc., and I never reloaded it; this "Found New Hardware" business started up after I took out the antenna the other day -- I'd gotten a HotSpot and so figured I might as well get rid of the antenna. Now my computer seems to miss it terribly ....

Does this help any?

Thanks again.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,881 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:05 PM

Yes it does, figured there was something no longer used. If desired, you can now remove the remaining antenna, until you do so, you'll continue to get warnings.

If you have no plans on using this again, check to see if any of the software is still installed, the app itself in the Start Menu or in the Add or Remove Programs list (or CCleaner, if installed). If it's there, there should be a date of install, this will confirm it's that & not another Linksys product, if there is one. Uninstall the software. A reboot may be required afterwards, if not, do so anyway.

Should you have it installed, run CCleaner to delete the Recycle Bin & the temp files.

Now go back to the Device Manager. If it's still there, click onto the item & expand the list, if present, we want to get the right item. Right click & choose to Uninstall This Device. If there happens to be a prompt to uninstall the software as well, go ahead & let it do so, there could be leftovers.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users