Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't log on to secure sites such as yahoo mail

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 captainkate

captainkate

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:30 PM

Sorry, somehow I posted this in the wrong place before.  I hope this is the right spot.  

I get a certificate error and a warning that a server might be trying to trick me when I try to log on to yahoo mail or my isp mail.  

I ran Hitman pro and it found what it called a hijacker.  It cleaned the hijacker and the messages stopped.  Then they started again later on that same day..  I ran hitman pro again and it did not find anything. Malware bytes, Kaspersky, trend micro also did not find it.   I guess the "hijacker" adapted.  Rogue Killer found some suspicious stuff, but I deleted it and it did not stop the problem.

is there anything else I can try?  Thank you so much for your assistance.

Edited by captainkate, 31 May 2014 - 06:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aharonov

aharonov

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

Hi there,

can you please post up the log files from Hitman and RogueKiller that have found something?
And in addition please run a FRST scan:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.
(If you are not sure which version (32-/64-bit) applies to your system, download and try to start both of them as just the right one will run.)
  • Start FRST with administator privileges.
  • Make sure the option Addition.txt is checked and press the Scan button.
  • When finished, FRST will produce two logs (FRST.txt and Addition.txt) in the same directory the tool was run from.
  • Please copy and paste these logs in your next reply.

#3 captainkate

captainkate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

HitmanPro 3.7.9.216
www.hitmanpro.com

Computer name . . . . : MIKI-PC
   Windows . . . . . . . : 5.1.3.2600.X86/2
   User name . . . . . . : MIKI-PC\MIKI
   License . . . . . . . : Free

Scan date . . . . . . : 2014-05-25 12:53:12
   Scan mode . . . . . . : Normal
   Scan duration . . . . : 3m 9s
   Disk access mode  . . : Direct disk access (SRB)
   Cloud . . . . . . . . : Internet
   Reboot  . . . . . . . : No

Threats . . . . . . . : 1
   Traces  . . . . . . . : 1

Objects scanned . . . : 412,277
   Files scanned . . . . : 8,870
   Remnants scanned  . . : 71,692 files / 331,715 keys

Malware remnants ____________________________________________________________

HKU\S-1-5-21-789336058-115176313-725345543-1008\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\Start Page (Hijacker)

#4 captainkate

captainkate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

Another fella is helping me with this on Bleeping computer.  I had posted it somewhere else in the forum, and was not sure if it was the right place, so I reposted it.     I appreciate your response though.  

Hitman pro found this, cleaned it and then it came back and Hitman pro did not find it again.  

The problem is on Opera as well as Internet explorer and it's only a problem with yahoo mail and yahoo answers.  I no longer get the certificate error message on my ISP email.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users