Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont let me reset it to factory condition

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ClassicChris

ClassicChris

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

Hello, I have ran my computer through Recovery settings about 2 times and now everytime I try to do it. It says "reset computer to start" I do, a message pops up saying "Error: Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause."The thing is, the computer starts up perfectly any other time, but when I want to run the Factory reset. I am confused and would like some help :(

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

Welcome,

When you try to reset your computer to the original factory settings do you have a copy of them available to the computer as a reference? Like a backup or an image file or even the installation disks?

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

Hello, I have ran my computer through Recovery settings about 2 times and now everytime I try to do it. It says "reset computer to start" I do, a message pops up saying "Error: Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause."The thing is, the computer starts up perfectly any other time, but when I want to run the Factory reset. I am confused and would like some help :(

Does your computer have a make and model?  Did you create the recovery discs according to your user guide?  I guess I shouldn't even ask if you've backed up your system.  :dance:

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 ClassicChris

ClassicChris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

Does your computer have a make and model?  Did you create the recovery discs according to your user guide?  I guess I shouldn't even ask if you've backed up your system.  :dance:

No, I do not. I have always had the option to reset my computer back to Factory condition without a CD, it is an option in my Recovery settings.  what_zpsf72889aa.jpg

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

Open Disk Management. Do you see a partition listed as "Recovery"?

Do you have access to another Windows 7 computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 June 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#6 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

As was asked, "What is the maker and full model name/number of your computer?" 

Usually Recovery to Factory (original) conditions is best accessed via holding one of the function keys [a menu of which to use is usually breifly displayed at the bottom of the screen during boot up] down during boot up.  Proceedure should also be in your computer's manual.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 02 June 2014 - 07:13 AM.

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

the hal.dll is from memory the hardware access layer dll file. I think you will find you would need to do another install (Repair Install, google it) but it has to be the exact RAM and HDD size as it left the factory. I know with HP's when i added extra harddrives and ram it just wouldnt install at all.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 02 June 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#8 ClassicChris

ClassicChris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:24 PM

No no, thats what it "looks" like, not what it says. It says 

Error “0xc000000f – The Boot Selection Failed Because A Required Device Is Inaccessible”

I used to be able to run Recovery without a CD, and always reset my laptop back to recovery settings, and the one time I tried recently. Thats what popped up. Ive been reading up on it and have had no luck.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:42 PM

To access the HP System Recovery, turn on the computer and immediately press the esc key to display the Startup Menu, and then press the F11 key.

Information from H.P. support >> HERE

#10 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

You can always make repair discs on another Windows 7 computer.  Since you have a 64 bit OS, do this on a Windows 7 64 bit computer.  Click Start -> Control Panel -> Backup and Restore -> Create a system repair disc.  Insert a blank CD-R and it will create it.  Then take that disc and boot from it on your computer.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users