Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What does the update KB2885699 do?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 signofzeta

signofzeta

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

Before I start deleting this update, I want to confirm from you if this is indeed the update that puts that nagging prompt on my computer every week that tells me that windows 8.1 is available.

I heard stories about windows 8.1 and the Asus N56jr not working well together, and I want to wait until a lot later before I start upgrading to windows 8.1.  I also heard you couldn't roll back to windows 8 from 8.1 unless you wipe out everything and reinstall windows 8.1, so I don't want to upgrade to windows 8.1 just yet.

Do you know when is the end of extended support for windows 8?  I am talking about windows 8, not 8.1.

I also heard some other bad stories about windows 8.1, so I prefer to stick with windows 8 for now.

I do not want to install windows 8.1.  I do not want that annoying "get windows 8.1 for free" notification to pester me either.  I want to know if the KB2885699 update is the one that puts these notifications on my screen.

Another thing to note.  My version of windows 8 does not have gpedit.msc, so going that route is not an option.

If you know of any other methods to get rid of that annoying "get windows 8.1 for free" notification from popping up without deleting KB2885699 update, I would like to know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

Yes, that seems to be the function of that update - See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2885699

Hmmm.. EOL for windows 8.0 is not clear on the page that I expected to find the information http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle

x64

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

When I'm looking for that kind of info, I go to microsoft.com and do a search.  This is the result.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2885699

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users