Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lastnerve

lastnerve

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

Issue arose on a compaq presario when monitor went blank and was in sleep mode. I have two of these computers although not identical. I removed the hard drive from the failed computer and swapped the drives in order to extract data needed. Same issue in second computer. I then returned the good hard drive to its original computer and it is now non functional. Two of four sata plugins are used. I moved the cd drive and hd from sata 1&2 to 3&4 and the second computer is fully functional again. So, I now have a hard drive that I need data from that I am thinking is creating havoc when plugged to a computer. I do have the tower this hard drive was removed from and it also has four sata plugins. Any idea what the issue might be and if there are any suggestions to retrieve data. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

Issue arose on a compaq presario when monitor went blank and was in sleep mode. I have two of these computers although not identical. I removed the hard drive from the failed computer and swapped the drives in order to extract data needed. Same issue in second computer. I then returned the good hard drive to its original computer and it is now non functional. Two of four sata plugins are used. I moved the cd drive and hd from sata 1&2 to 3&4 and the second computer is fully functional again. So, I now have a hard drive that I need data from that I am thinking is creating havoc when plugged to a computer. I do have the tower this hard drive was removed from and it also has four sata plugins. Any idea what the issue might be and if there are any suggestions to retrieve data. Thanks.

Put that hard in an external enclosure, plug it into a USB port on a working computer and try to copy your data off of it.  If you can, I'd then run chkdsk to it, letting it check for and attempt repair of any bad sectors.  Bear in mind that depending on the size of that drive, chkdsk could run for a few hours.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

What is the operating system on this computer?

If this is Windows 7 or 8 you can generalize the C: drive and then install it in another computer.

There are identifiers which the operating system looks for when the computer is booted into Windows.  When you install the drive in another computer it see different identifiers and becomes confused and may not boot at all.  It may boot initially but in most cases will deteriorate to the point that the operating system will have to be reinstalled.

Edited by dc3, 01 June 2014 - 03:09 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users