Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fonts suddenly changed in all internet browers, other programs OK

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Avee1977

Avee1977

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

Dear all,

hope someone can help me here.

I just restarted my computer since my WLAN was hiccuping (it does that once in a while, has to do with the internet provider), and when it came back on, the fonts in all my internet browers (my main browser is Firefox, back-up is Google Chrome) have suddenly changed; the Firefox one to something that looks like Arial Black/bold, the Chrome to something italic. The weird thing is that if I check the font settings in my Firefox, it still says "Times New Roman", size 16 - but that sure isn't what it looks like on the websites! (Other info: am using Windows 8)

Any suggestions? Please help, these involuntary fonts are driving me crazy while surfing the web!

Thanks,

Anke

Edited by Avee1977, 31 May 2014 - 12:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

I'd check the Windows\Fonts folder to see if by chance your default font(s) got deleted somehow.  If so, you could copy what you need from another computer.  You could also try System Restore to a few days back.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Avee1977

Avee1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

To be honest, this is not helping so much. One, I checked the fonts, none of them got deleted. Two, even if they had, I have no access to another computer from which I could copy them. Three, there is no System Restore from a few days back.

Any other suggestions? Anyone?

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

To be honest, this is not helping so much. One, I checked the fonts, none of them got deleted. Two, even if they had, I have no access to another computer from which I could copy them. Three, there is no System Restore from a few days back.

Any other suggestions? Anyone?

Time to check for malware and viruses.  Install Malwarebytes, get it up to date, boot to Safe Mode, and let it do a full system scan.  Also while in Safe Mode do a full system scan with your antivirus.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 Avee1977

Avee1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

Already in the process of doing that... will post findings as soon as I get them.

#6 Avee1977

Avee1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

Malwarebytes returns a clean system; so does the antivirus scan...

#7 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

Try System Restore to a date prior to the start of the problem.  If that doesn't fix it, it'll be time to save any data you don't want to lose and restore to factory settings.

Good luck.

#8 Avee1977

Avee1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

Seriously? You want me to me restore to factory settings just because the browser fonts changed?!?

#9 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

Seriously? You want me to me restore to factory settings just because the browser fonts changed?!?

If you try System Restore and that doesn't work, you've obviously got a problem with your system.  If all the above fails, and you want the problem fixed, that's the next thing to do.  Sorry.

#10 Avee1977

Avee1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:40 AM

Just so you know, after a little more research, it turned out that somehow the font arial.tff got deleted - all it took was to reinstall that font. You wanted me to restore to factory settings because of a missing font. Might want to be a little bit more careful with your advice...

#11 emirii_kya

emirii_kya

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:58 AM

Agreed. I just had this exact problem today and I was messing around with fonts on my computer the other day. All I had to do was re install the Arial fonts into my computer and it fixed the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users