Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aero theme not working! Windows looks like Windows Basic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chooza97

chooza97

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

Hi everyone, thanks for any help in advance. 

I have an HP Pavilion dm4 laptop, currently running Windows 7. This morning I turned on the computer and thte left part of the screen stopped working; i.e. there's a big white strip on the side where the display isn't working so I imagine the LCD is busted. It sucks, but it isn't completely unexpected because my left hinge isn't exactly fully connected and I'm unable to close the laptop. Naturally, the first thing I tried was to restart the computer. It didn't fix the problem, but when I turned on my computer again my theme had switched to Windows Basic/some other really old looking theme, I may be wrong on the exact name. I tried running a few fixes, one of the problems that I can't seem to fix is that Desktop Windows Manager says it's running, but when I try a troubleshooter it says that the service is disabled.

I tried and opened Microsoft Word when the problem first started an hour ago and although the bottom pane didn't look right Word itself seemed to look normal. However now I opened it up again and even the Ribbon has turned to Windows Basic. I know my LCD needs replacing, but in the meantime how do I fix my theme so that I can keep using my laptop? 

I've attached a picture of what my problem looks like. Thanks again for any help - I'm not the most tech savvy person so any advice is appreciated.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

Hi,

The hinge problem may be causing the ribbon cable between the motherboard and the display to fail. Either at the connecting points or within the cable itself. That may be the first step, get that repaired.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:28 PM

Is this the same in Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

You could always attach an external monitor or run a cable to a TV.  Windows may've sensed that the partially broken screen can't handle AERO graphics and made the change.  If that's the case, no manner of fooling around with the software is going to help unfortunately.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 chooza97

chooza97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I tried it in safe mode, and no luck. I'm still on what seems to be Windows Classic. (I think I may have made a mistake in saying Windows Basic earlier.)

wpgwpg: Should connecting an external monitor make the graphics come back? This really seems strange; just one inch of the screen is not working. Additionally, could someone explain why a partly broken screen prevents the rest of the fully-functioning screen from displaying AERO? I'm just asking out of pure curiosity, but if I were to load a picture of Windows 7 Aero off of Google, for example, I'd be able to view it i.e. my actual LCD is able to generate the colours etc. required to display "Aero", so why would it suddenly not be able to support those graphics when they come from my own computer? Again, I'm just curious, and thanks again for the help!

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I tried it in safe mode, and no luck. I'm still on what seems to be Windows Classic. (I think I may have made a mistake in saying Windows Basic earlier.)

wpgwpg: Should connecting an external monitor make the graphics come back? This really seems strange; just one inch of the screen is not working. Additionally, could someone explain why a partly broken screen prevents the rest of the fully-functioning screen from displaying AERO? I'm just asking out of pure curiosity, but if I were to load a picture of Windows 7 Aero off of Google, for example, I'd be able to view it i.e. my actual LCD is able to generate the colours etc. required to display "Aero", so why would it suddenly not be able to support those graphics when they come from my own computer? Again, I'm just curious, and thanks again for the help!

My Toshiba Satellite L755's User Guide says that when you connect an external monitor, it looks to see what the device's properties are and makes corresponding adjustments.  YMMV.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

I am assuming you have enabled Aero theme. If the problem still exists, change the settings as shown here for "Best Appearance" and see if that fixes the issue.

Edit: Or use the setting "Let Windows Decide"

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 May 2014 - 03:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users