Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Download and Install Anything.....Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lospeed

lospeed

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

HELP!!!

i Can't download any .exe file. I can't even install applications like chrome, antivirus.....

The computer was newly formatted. Anti virus can't be installed. Installation won't push thru just after clicking the first NEXT button. Can't update Windows defender. I also tried installing flash player, but it also won't push thru. Even Google Chrome or any other Browsers saved from other units, once i open it on this unit, It won't install....

PLEASE HELP!!!

Edited by hamluis, 02 June 2014 - 08:48 AM.
Topic moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

Are you the Administrator?

#3 lospeed

lospeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:04 PM

Yes sir, i am the administrator

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:19 AM

I noticed that in your post that it had been recently formatted. Did you perform a clean install, install your drivers (including your chipset first & Ethernet/wireless) & update XP fully? Many apps won't install without required updates.

And is this the only computer on the premises? Just trying to determine if this is a Internet connection or other issue. Because you've stated that you can't download any .exe file.

Need more information to narrow this down, hope to hear back soon. With your next post, please include make & model of your computer.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 lospeed

lospeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

Yes , a clean format. i've installed all necesarry drivers and updates too.

I've tried downloading on another unit, and it went thru (download and install)...this is the the only unit experiencing this problem...My unit is an acer aspire x1800.

Thank you for your response.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

I would have you try something else, but don't have the authority to instruct on this, not being a member of the Malware Response Team. Nor do I want to assume the responsibility of possibly torching your XP install, though if I were doing the work, I would take the chance. However, it's not me & don't want to violate Forum rules by instructing you on advanced methods that *may* in unskilled hands do more harm than good.

Being that you can't update Windows Defender, execute any .exe files, something *may* be up here. From your posting, it looks as though you've yet to install security & still in the process of setting things up. Unfortunately, for XP, updates comes from IE6 at the beginning, the least secure version of IE of the modern era, has existed since 2001.

My suggestion to you is to post this in the "Am I infected" section of the Forum. The computer may not be infected, however I'm inclined to believe that there's the possibility, based on what you've stated. Here's the link to that section.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

I would like to further assist with this, but again, my hands are tied. Unless the MRT states it's not an infection.

Best of Luck.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:49 AM

Topic moved from XP to Am I Infected.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users