Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp boot dvd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 notimpressed

notimpressed

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

HI Bleeping Comp.

I have a copy of Win8.1 to install on Dell Dimension 5150 pentium 4. It has win xp sp3 4gb ram, 1 gb graph card. I want to make a copy of windows xp to a dvd incase I install 8.1 and it doesn't work I can then go back to XP. Repair shop will not try this as they say my pc will not load 8.1. Spec of pc is obviously good enough to run 8.1 better than XP. My question is how do I make an boot dvd? Dell did not supply a copy of XP just their PC Restore function. My searches around this forum have not found the answer.

With my thanks,

Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:45 AM

Windows 8, by default uses UEFI instead of BIOS, and the disk type has changed.  I've heard that it MIGHT be possible to use standard BIOS.  Search for this:

"using windows 8 without uefi"

But you also have other requirements.  Search for, and run Windows 8 updrage advisor from microsoft.com.

Personally, I liked XP, and 7, but I've gotten use to Windows 8; but I cheat, I use "start menu" programs to being back the start menu.

Best of luck.

#3 notimpressed

notimpressed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

Scotty

OKay, I think i'll just format HDD and load win 8.1 without xp boot dvd and keep fingers crossed!!!

Thanks,

Andrew

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

I do wish you the best of luck!  Windows 8 as you probably know, doesn't have the "start menu" like in Windows 7 and before.  But there are plenty of start menu programs out there.  I use:

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

I like it.

In another thread, a free start menu program was discussed, but until I can confirm, independantly the country the author is from, and where he lives now (country), I won't use it.  Most of the references I've found was written up by the author himself, and I won't rely on that.

Hopefully, you'll see this before you try Windows 8.  In Windows 8.1, if you're connected to the Internet, it will attempt to force you to create a Microsoft (LIVE) account.  Simply unplug the ethernet cable, and don't enable wi-fi during the install, and it won't make you create a Microsoft (LIVE) account.  Once you finish the setup, and you see the start screen the first time, you can then plug in the cable and/or enable wi-fi and continue to install programs, run updates, etc.

Also, if you use office (and other M$ products), they make it hard to get the updates for office, etc, unlike the other versions of windows.  Here is how to enable office updates:

1.  Get to the Start screen (normally pressing the WIN key).
2.  Type (no quotes): "Windows Updates".
3.  Select "Windows Update Settings".
4.  Choose "How Updates Get Installed".
5.  Check "Give me updates for other Microsoft Products When I update Windows".
6.  Click Apply.
7.  Alt-F4.
8.  Run updates

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

It might be worthwhile to contact Dell re system recovery/restore disks.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users