Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

two pc's connect to one Canon Pixma mg5550

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dexpresss

dexpresss

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:01 AM

Hi,

Trusting you may be able to offer guidance to the feeble !

I have just purchased the Canon Pixma mg5550 allinone printer and have connected successfully

with my desktop (Vista) via USB cable. However I cannot get the printer to connect wirelessly to my Samsung laptop (Windows 7).

The machine tells me via its own screen that it is connected to the router via WPS button but the laptop indicates that it is offline. I have tried connecting the laptop with usb cable to disagnose but to no avail.

I have also tried entering router password and usercode manually with no success.

My previous Epson allowed usb and wireless connection.

Grateful for any thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

If your printer offers a manual network configuration I would recommend that over the WPS option. I just did a similar setup on a Kodak ESP C315 and manual configuration worked flawlessly.

#3 dexpresss

dexpresss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for the reply "Old Rocker" but tried that too.

Printer shows connected (and little blue is 'on'). Have followed instructions from Canon

website for my model, both for WPS button system and the standard connection. Even resorted to

reset to factory defaults.

Each time I tried to print something, laptop screen shows printer offline and suggests I try

"diagnose & repair" via a usb cable. Printer then of course works until I remove the usb.

Canon website support is not the most lucid in the world and not much help.

It must be something simple but I've checked all the obvious - like cables loose.

Maybe I should have stayed with Epson.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

Start over. Uninstall EVERYTHING Canon from the laptop.

Follow the set up instructions. Make sure you choose Start Setup when you get to the screen that asks Start wireless LAN setup?

Then follow the instructions on screen as you proceed with the install.

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

I have a Canon printer that I share with no problems.  It's on my Windows 7 desktop (via USB cable), and I access it just fine on my Windows 7 laptop and two Windows 8 desktops.  I've found that it helps a lot to install the drivers before attempting to connect via my network.  My Canon Pixima IP1600 printer is several years old and didn't come with Windows 8 drivers, so I ended up having to physically connect it to the Windows 8 computers to get the drivers, then I was able to network to it.  Canon, for reasons I don't understand, won't let you download the driver for it until you physically connect it.  I imagine yours came with disc having Windows Vista, 7 & 8 drivers though.

Canon makes great printers.  I'm sure you'll like it when you get everything working.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

Canon, for reasons I don't understand, won't let you download the driver for it until you physically connect it.  I imagine yours came with disc having Windows Vista, 7 & 8 drivers though.

Are you saying you have to connect the printer to the computer via USB before you can download the drivers? I have 3 laptops and 1 desktop set up to connect wirelessly to my Canon printer. I've never had to connect any of them via USB in order to download the drivers.

Two laptops and the desktop are Windows 7. The other laptop is a Mac. My install disk for the Canon got scratched so I have to download the drivers and other software from the Canon website.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 May 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#7 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

Canon, for reasons I don't understand, won't let you download the driver for it until you physically connect it.  I imagine yours came with disc having Windows Vista, 7 & 8 drivers though.

Are you saying you have to connect the printer to the computer via USB before you can download the drivers? I have 3 laptops and 1 desktop set up to connect wirelessly to my Canon printer. I've never had to connect any of them via USB in order to download the drivers.

Two laptops and the desktop are Windows 7. The other laptop is a Mac. My install disk for the Canon got scratched so I have to download the drivers and other software from the Canon website.

I'm saying that's what I've had to do with my specific Pixima IP1600.  YMMV.

Edited by wpgwpg, 31 May 2014 - 03:25 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#8 dexpresss

dexpresss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will let you know how I get on.

dexpresss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users